• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

New and inexperienced; wanting to restore/customize a 1976 CB750 Super Sport

jd750

CB750 New member
Reaction score
How's it going, guys and gals?

Let's just cut right to it. I never ridden a motorcycle but I'm VERY interested in getting into it. It's been an interest since my friends in Seattle showed me their bikes and a garage they hang out with other enthusiasts. As soon as I saw them ride up, got close to the bikes, and sat on one, I knew I wanted to get into this.

To start, I have been browsing online for a good bike and feel in love with cafe racers I came across a '76 Honda CB750 Super Sport with 19,000 miles that has been inside a garage for a few years. Asking $600 USD for it. (I bet I can get it down a little more.) According to the owner, engine turns with good compression but needs an exhaust. It looks pretty dusty (nothing a little wash cant fix) and rust can be seen on some parts (minor on frame and wheels).

My plan: Restore/modify this bike before midsummer while I obtain my motorcycle license. I want this to be my first bike that I own, restore, and get into the hobby with.

My background: My brother and I have worked on my family cars for years now. We have done everything from simple oil changes to more complicated projects like replacing a broken/leaking timing chain cover, power steering pumps, and shock replacement. I feel pretty savvy around cars, have the patience, the time, and the drive to do a restoration project. My brother is a great resource since he's a mechanical engineer.

Here's where I need your help...

1) Am I attempting to do too much too soon? Should I get a different, more modern used bike as my first and work myself up to this?

Personally, I see this as an awesome opportunity to really get into the hobby, build up my experience, and have a bike that really makes me happy to ride knowing that I worked on it personally. I have looked into Royal Enfield, Triumph, Indian, and Honda cycles as alternatives. Open to suggestions.

2) What advice do you have for someone new to motorcycles?
3) What concerns/considerations do I need to make?
3) What brands/sites do you trust most to get OEM/Aftermarket parts if you recommend I try this out?
4) Any helpful resources/forum threads that can be a guide for a project like this?

Y'all don't have to be gentle on this newbie. Give it to me straight.

As much as I love the 750 I would not use it as a first bike to learn on. It has more power then you may think it does. It is also a pretty heavy bike. Handling is well...its 1970's technology so its not the best. These bikes require a lot of maintenance. You have points to deal with and keep in adjustment, carbs to keep clean and keep in adjustment and sync, and the other maintenance items, valves, timing chain to keep up on. The engine parts are not cheap but aftermarket support is plentiful. It gets expensive fast when you get into building the engine, parts and upgrades needed when bumping power add up fast.

If you decide to get into this project my list of vendors I use and trust is short, cyclexchange, dynoman, APE, cb750supply, and oem honda dealers, there is still some parts available from honda.

There is plenty of information on this site if you do some looking around, cafe style bikes have been done forever so there is plenty of information around.

He's right-bike is too big to learn to ride on, you need something from 250-500 to begin on. Much easier to learn the art of handling a bike if it is easier to pick up while lying in the middle of the street. Any 750 running right can get away from a newbie in only a second or two to be going so fast you can't avoid a major crackup. I've known (past tense there is intentional) a new driver that got killed on a 500 after he swore he already knew how to drive one, he didn't.

Thanks gents. As much as I'd like to do this restoration project, I can definitely understand that it may not be best starter bike. It's a good goal to reach though. I have looked at 2012-2017 Honda Rebels. I heard good things about them as a starter bike.

Hey @jd750
Thanks gents. As much as I'd like to do this restoration project, I can definitely understand that it may not be best starter bike. It's a good goal to reach though. I have looked at 2012-2017 Honda Rebels. I heard good things about them as a starter bike.

I'm fairly new to this too and the 750 will be the second bike I've ever owned. I know you made this post a couple years ago but I'm in the greater Seattle area and figured I should reach out! I don't know any people in the area who are into bikes yet so maybe we could chat sometime! Just reaching out!

Back