• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

pinstripe removal

mark1962

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello, new member here recently purchased 1976 cb750. The previous owner carelessly used a pressure washer on the tank and damaged the pinstriping. My question is has anyone successfully removed the pinstriping without damaging the paint? My thought was a 3m decal erasure. thanks in advance

Virtually impossible in my view.

You will also find the paint under decal to likely be a different shade as fading occurred on the paint exposed to light but not under decal.

I would say go for it, you have nothing to lose. If your careful enough you might just be able to lay new pinstripe back in the same spot. Worst case you need to repaint the tank and thats not the end of the world either.

The 3M stuff is made to remove VINYL 'decal' which is a sticker not a true decal. It's also intended for sticker on TOP of the paint, not under a clearcoat. Big differences there. True decal is a layer of PAINT or INK made to come loose all at once from a water loosened backing, it is specialized to come loose while together, and adheres simply by being stuck by capillary action. Shooting clear over it makes it part of the base paint itself when the solvents go through the decal to lock it to the lower paint color.

I have removed vinyl decal on top of paint with no clear all day long with virtually no damage other than the paint faded marking where it was. You need no special tools for that.

Luck with whatever you do there..........people will make you think the 3M stuff can do anything to sell product but like everything else the details of the work matter greatly as to whether it works or not.

The 3M stuff is made to remove VINYL 'decal' which is a sticker not a true decal. It's also intended for sticker on TOP of the paint, not under a clearcoat. Big differences there. True decal is a layer of PAINT or INK made to come loose all at once from a water loosened backing, it is specialized to come loose while together, and adheres simply by being stuck by capillary action. Shooting clear over it makes it part of the base paint itself when the solvents go through the decal to lock it to the lower paint color.

I have removed vinyl decal on top of paint with no clear all day long with virtually no damage other than the paint faded marking where it was. You need no special tools for that.

Luck with whatever you do there..........people will make you think the 3M stuff can do anything to sell product but like everything else the details of the work matter greatly as to whether it works or not.

I understand your point, I wasn't thinking about a decal vs a vinyl sticker. I may give it a try and see what happens. I will have to paint it anyway.

To whom it may concern, i removed the pinstripe with great success using a 3m eraser wheel without any damage to the original paint! After a good buffing I replaced the pinstripe and she looks good!

To whom it may concern, i removed the pinstripe with great success using a 3m eraser wheel without any damage to the original paint! After a good buffing I replaced the pinstripe and she looks good!
Great! And thanks for the follow-up. BTW, I removed pinstriper-painted names from the tourpack of a GoldWing SEi with EasyOff oven cleaner and Qtips, then a final polish and buff. These methods work well if the decoration has not been sealed in with clearcoat.

Use some heat from a hairdryer, pull the pin stripe back slowly with general pressure.

Check out.
#windyurtnowski
He paints bikes tanks, puts pinstripes under clear ect...

Back