• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Wheel bearing question

Russell Morgan

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I am working on my project bike 1982 cb750sc nighthawk. I replaced the front wheel bearings myself but when they were pressed in place I could not turn the inner race by hand. I knocked one bearing back out and it turns easily. When the inner race of both bearings press against the spacer between the bearings does this creat pressure, is this normal?

Yes, the bearings butt hard against the spacer. When you turn one bearing you will be turning the other one too. If you remove the spacer then the bearings would die in a minute. Put back together correctly and stick axle in the hole and THEN spin it, it will spin pretty easy. The bearing centers and spacer spin as one unit.

On each end of the spacer there is metal ring with three clips (for lack of a better description) that face the inner race. When I removed the new bearings some of them were bent. I thought this was possibly a problem.

The clips are actually guides to help center the spacer to allow axle to enter bearing-spacer-bearing easily. Rebend as needed to help with that.

Back