• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Cleaning the engine / head gasket?

Zero

CB750 Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to clean the head gasket / engine? Mine is quite built up with crud on the top. I'm attaching some pic's hope they come out ok?

Attachments

• 100_4965.jpg
    100_4965.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 275
  • 100_4966.jpg
    100_4966.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 249
You just want to clean the valve cover? Or the head gasket surface itself? For the valve cover that has that clear coat peeling off, use aircraft stripper and it will melt off. Then you can polish up the valve cover, wax it, or clear coat it again. If you're pulling your engine apart and want to clean the head gasket surfaces, use gasket remover and a scraper. Gasket remover and aircraft stripper can both be found at most auto parts stores. For aircraft stirpper, I like Mar-Hyde Tal-Strip II. It works great but is nasty stuff so use gloves, eye protection, and do it in a really well ventilated area or use a respirator.

I won't be pulling out the motor, that's above my skill level. I just want to clean it the best I possibly can.

I'm not sure of a really good way to clean it with the engine still in the frame. The aircraft stripper might still work, but you'd have to be really careful. Maybe get the gel stuff and brush it on and wipe it off.

Back