• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Looking for a replacement gas tank for my 1980 CB750k

Shoenfeltj

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I just recently started to work on my first motorcycle, a 1980 CB750k, I can find just about everything I need (either rebuild kits or aftermarket parts etc.), that being said I just wanted to ask what gas tanks are most commonly used as replacements, as the one that came with it is rusted out. And I’m preferably looking for one that’s a more of the cafe racer type of look.( open to pretty much any options as long as it’s not to expensive).

Last edited:
The bikes do not change tanks without changing other things. The side covers are often made to fit tank lines, as are the seats. Each tank can fit frame in different ways too. The frames to begin with are universal, then they change them by removing or adding this or that attachment point or bracket to make them not fit any other models at all unless you begin to cut and weld. Back of tank is generally the issue.

Many have found that a tank that 'looks like it will fit' actually requires much more work than they thought.

In today's world of ethanol laced fuel if you don't have a rust issue you will in a year. Why cars have moved on to plastic fuel tanks and mostly plastic fuel pump assemblies.

Any '79-'82 K or L (limited) will work.

Anybody changing tank has pretty much done any custom work himself. Many use the excuse of dumping side covers as an easier reason to go there, they may not have had the covers to begin with.

Back