• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1991 CB750 DOHC Compatible front end swaps and idle RPM too high

859ira

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I've got a '91 CB750 DOHC that I was in an accident with a few months ago. It has been running fine until recently, despite the accident, but the front end is bent and and few things are broken. Unfortunately, I'm in school so my budget is tight to say the least. Does anyone have any ideas on compatible front ends that I could swap onto the bike? I'd prefer a direct swap but am open to a little machine time if necessary. One option I'm looking at is from an '81 cb650, but I don't want to commit to something unless I know it will work - as I said, money's tight. I'm new to this and searching the web for info on such a swap has been fruitless.

The other issue I'm having is that my idle has been slowly creeping up since the accident. Initially it only wanted to creep up to 3K rpm, but over the last couple months its crept up to 5K rpm. I'm not even sure where to start on fixing this. I've found forums for older CBs that suggest taking apart the carburetor and checking the float and pins or changing the oil (it's been less than 3K miles since the last change), but the same forums have also pointed out the bikes from '70's and '80's are nothing like those that were made in '90's.

Please help.

Garage background/experience info: I'm a tinkerer who's mechanical acumen comes front working primarily on cars, but I've done limited work on quads and lawnmowers so small engines aren't completely new. This is my first street bike and has become my first street bike project.

Back