• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Rear Light on when in park

tdubsy

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I swapped out my wiring harness today for a new one from vintagecb750.com

While doing this I noticed that there was an additional wire running from the rear brown connector all the way up to the headlight and plugged into the black that would normally power the signal buzzer (its been unplugged) I assumed the original unused brown wire must have had a broken connection. Probably done by the PO

I plugged in the new harness and the rear light into the brown as it should.

But what I noticed:

When Key is in park - Rear light on gets brighter when brake on
When Key is in on - Light is off but brake light activates

I re did what the PO had set up and sure enough everything worked properly.

I also tried swapping some of the brake light wires around and just got reverse variations of High/low and on off.

Any Ideas on what is happening? The existing solution works but I would like to get this set up how it should be.

Doing a crash course on the wiring diagrams and how everything functions currently. (honestly makes my eyes glaze over a bit)

You can also see an aftermarket tail light was added by the PO

Thanks!

IMG_20190913_173440.jpg
IMG_20190913_173452.jpg

The brown wire does not go to black connector, brown is only for use at night, the buzzer is on all day long. Brown runs from ignition switch to fuse for taillight and then to the brown connection on brakelight assembly. The park light only lights the lower beam in brakelight, the higher beam is for brake on. The lower beam (brown) comes on in park and lights on, second position of ignition.

With switch in park only the lower beam brakelight comes on.

There are changes to some of this based on year model.

The brown wire does not go to black connector, brown is only for use at night, the buzzer is on all day long. Brown runs from ignition switch to fuse for taillight and then to the brown connection on brakelight assembly. The park light only lights the lower beam in brakelight, the higher beam is for brake on. The lower beam (brown) comes on in park and lights on, second position of ignition.

With switch in park only the lower beam brakelight comes on.

There are changes to some of this based on year model.

Makes sense, Although should turning on high beams activate the rear running light?

Currently it doesn't so I went back to the PO did for now. Although I would like to have this fixed properly.

I also seem to have a strange issue of my guage lights activating and blinking with my signal lights now.

I have a feeling it has to do with the aftermarket signal lights the PO put on. It has a 3 wire setup although only a single filament bulb. They worked when everything was plugged in on the old harness. But the only way I can get them to function properly now is to have the green unplugged. Yellow wire into the orange or blue signal cable and black wire with white indicator into green (these are obviously aftermarket colors) (no front running light function when i bought the bike or now, I believe there should be)

Any other combo the light either stays on and turns off completely when you move the signal switch or it blows fuses.

Thanks

Dunno what you have there but you cannot have a single filament bulb with 3 wires.

Gauge lights blinking with turns is gauges not hooked to proper power supply there.

There are new harnesses that have internal problems with them.

Back