• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

CB750 front fork seal direction?

mnvkngs65

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replacing the front fork seals and can't figure out what side faces down into the fork. Both sides of the seal have compression springs and have flat surfaces. The OD also appears the same on both sides. One side does appear to have 2 ridges/lips internally and also has a larger external gap. The other side has just one ridge and a smaller crevice/gap on the outside. I believe the side with the 2 ridges goes down???

Also, do I have to order copper compression washers for the bottom of the forks or can I use stainless compression washers I already have?

Thanks!

IMG_20190903_002456007.jpg
IMG_20190903_002508899.jpg

It appears you have the upper side mainly showing there. You have to remember you are stopping a pressure leak from fork working, that means any major lips face DOWN and then the pressure from below forces them to the tube tighter to seal better. If you have seal lips facing BOTH ways you generally put the heavier lip to that same way.

You seem to have a lip on one end of the OD, it there is not a relief down inside the fork lower then that will definitely not work. Lip likely goes up to give snap ring more support.

The oil lock piece that the copper washer seats against crushes into the copper to stop leaks, stainless is way too hard and will not work at that. You'll get a slow leak. Hardware stores (Ace, anyway) have copper washers that will work, you may not find one with proper size hole in it but passing a drill bit through it and then deburr to dead flat and there you have it. Honda uses copper sealing washers all over the place, there are several on the oil pan. The stores carry aluminum ones too, they will work.

Back