• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Newbie with a suspension height question, exhaust, and intended use question

tdskip

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hello - I'm such a newbie I haven't even bought a CB750 yet, but this seemed like a good place to ask for some coaching on these bikes.

I'm a casual rider, mix of around town and generally under 200 miles a weekend touring. I'm an OK rider, have been riding a long time but not that many total miles and I'm not going to scrape the side pegs or get a wheel of the ground. So with that in mind I was hoping to get some feedback on this bike and how I plan to use it.

1) Ride height: I'm 5'10" with a 32 inseam and I want to make sure I can get my feet down. I was expecting to be on my toes more but I wasn't, which is good, but I'm thinking it might be because the bike I am looking at was already lowered. Could I ask you guys to take a look as see what you see here?

2) This bike has a custom exhaust and rear brake pedal actually hits the exhaust when you try to use it - obviously unsafe. I am assuming I need to replace the exhaust with one with a proper profile and I wanted to ask if there is a system that you all would recommend that balances good sound quality (but not too loud) and price.

3) Intended use: most of my riding will be based on SoCal running around between towns which will include some highway use, after that there will be town riding. I do intend to do modest touring on this for a couple hundred miles over a weekend (I know, I know, I need to ride it further). I have a 1974 CB360 I got running and use around town that is a great bike but obviously a lot smaller. I'm a touch concerned that the CB750, while great on the highways, might be a bit much for running around and a CB550 might split the difference. I rode the CB750 in the picture around a storage lot at low speeds and it was OK to handle, so I don't think it's too much bike for me but I want to be clear headed about how it will fit with my intended use.

Thanks!
IMG-2255.jpg

It is all up to you. Do you like the look, and sound? Does it hit real bad? Can you heat and bend the lever upward enough to maintain comfort, and clear the exhaust? Some people go with forward controls, and others rearsets... decisions, decisions... take your time, ride it the way it is and decide later

dirtdigger said:

Thanks, looks like a great resource

It is all up to you. Do you like the look, and sound? Does it hit real bad? Can you heat and bend the lever upward enough to maintain comfort, and clear the exhaust? Some people go with forward controls, and others rearsets... decisions, decisions... take your time, ride it the way it is and decide later

Unfortunately the bike needs other sorting out first, and the rear brakes don't really engage at all so not safe to ride especially with the front brake grabbing. I think I've decided to let this one pass and focus on a CB750F that I found.

I'll give an update once I (hopefully) wrap up the deal on the F.

Thanks!

Back