• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Newbie with tranny question

nhall80

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I just bought a ‘72 CB750 that’s mostly in pieces but all there and seems to have good compression. Engine is intact, but I’m concerned about the transmission. Any ideas on how I can get an idea of its condition without opening things up? I’ve tried shifting through the gears and spinning the shaft with my fingers. Not sure what I should be feeling for other than some resistance.

The gas tank alone of worth what I paid for the bike, so I want to decide if it’s a fixer or if I should part it out.

Any help with the tranny? Or even other things I should concern myself with that could tip the bike into the “parts” category?

Thanks

Shifting and turning shaft by hand, it just seemed to have lots of slack (not the shaft bearing...in the gears). It’s also felt neutral in 3rd gear.

What does a tranny rebuild cost...in parts?

I just bought a ‘72 CB750 that’s mostly in pieces but all there and seems to have good compression. Engine is intact, but I’m concerned about the transmission. Any ideas on how I can get an idea of its condition without opening things up? I’ve tried shifting through the gears and spinning the shaft with my fingers. Not sure what I should be feeling for other than some resistance.

The gas tank alone of worth what I paid for the bike, so I want to decide if it’s a fixer or if I should part it out.

Any help with the tranny? Or even other things I should concern myself with that could tip the bike into the “parts” category?

Thanks

Start the motor then run it through the gears

It can be perfectly normal to run into what feels like a lot of slack while shifting by hand and turning trans input. Only somebody who builds them for a living will know what to look for there and even that can be wrong.

Apart like said to view the parts, the only way to tell, you cannot tell worn engagement dogs on sides of gears or bent forks any other way.

Starting motor can work but the countershaft needs to be held by a chain or you can tear trans up doing that by getting halfway into gears (the neutral in 3rd thing) since all shafts will be turning at same relative rate, the trans relies on different rates to shift correctly.

Back