• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Riding 3000km to Baja on a 34 year old bike, what to bring?

Mjolnir

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I live in Fort St John, on the Alaska Highway.
Last summer I bought a '79 CB750K, 10th anniversary edition with 16 000kms on it. I love this bike.
I'm planning on riding it down to baja in a couple weeks (I might throw it in the back of the truck and drive south till it's warm enough first!).
This is my second bike, first was a klr250 back in Ausrtalia.
What basic/essential tools would you guys reccomend? I'm thinking a 1/4" and 3/8 ratchet with 8, 10, 12, 14mm sockets, the same in stubby combo wrenches, a screwdriver, pliers, tire levers, tire patch kit, crescent wrench. Anything else?
I've got to replace the stator and rotor before the trip, and bolt on a couple of panniers, probably getting dirt baggs because they're cheap and Canadian made.
Parts availability seems to be an issue with the CB, are there any resources you'd reccomend?
Thanks... I'll see if I can figure out how to post a pic...
Brad.

Attachments

• IMG_0302[1].jpg
    IMG_0302[1].jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 166
Brad,

Welcome to the site! That's quite the trip!

I'd bring fuses and wiring stuff and I'd probably bring my multimeter. Bring spare plugs and a spark plug socket. Do you have the original tool kit? Bring hex wrenches. Maybe bring some safety wire and duct tape! :D

True, you can never bring too much wire and duct tape!
It looks like plans have changed for this trip though, I'm taking my camper since the roads up here are still icy. It's probably better that I familiarise myself more with the CB first anyways.
It's having Charging issues and a buit of hesitation on acceleration. I'm replacing the stator and rotor. I'm guessing the carb needs some tlc too. I've been looking for parts online, and there seems to be a few places that cater for the SOHC's, What is there for the DOHC's?

I would never go much over 100 miles from home without a pair of spare igniters. fix the voltage first it may solve your problems. every one of those I ever saw with charging troubles ran like crap. be warned Mexican gas may eat your float needles. put it on the center stand, turn off the gas and idle it till it runs out of gas every night. OEM Honda needles are good for the ethanol heavy gas, but the replacements aren't.

For what its worth I would consider carrying a new set of float needles taped under the tank or somewhere. they are cheap.

Last edited:
Back