• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

76 Carbs on a 77 Motor

TennesseeT

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I recently bought a 77 CB 750 a set of 76 Carbs came with it. The bike is in poor shape but the engine seems sound. Are there any issues with using the 76 carbs on the 77 motor?
Thanks in advance.

Shouldn't be if the cable connects to linkage to work correctly. '76 used the round top Keihin and the '77 went to the later (PD42?) carbs with an accelerator pump on them, probably a sign of the carbs getting ever leaner for emissions. My guess is that many may prefer to use the carbs you have now.

Last edited:
Shouldn't be if the cable connects to linkage to work correctly. '76 used the round top Keihin and the '77 went to the later (PD42?) carbs with an accelerator pump on them, probably a sign of the carbs getting ever leaner for emissions. My guess is that many may prefer to use the carbs you have now.

Thanks, we'll see how it goes.

The boots between the head and carbs are different as the later carbs are bigger. The cables are also different, the later carbs have more exposed cable and you normally cant get all the slack out of them. The air filter side of the carbs are also different size so you filtration setup will need to be changed as well.

The boots between the head and carbs are different as the later carbs are bigger. The cables are also different, the later carbs have more exposed cable and you normally cant get all the slack out of them. The air filter side of the carbs are also different size so you filtration setup will need to be changed as well.

Thank you for the information. I believe I have the boots that match the 76 carbs but I'll check. If the motor woks out I'll be moving it to a hardtail frame that may negate the other issues. Thanks again.

Back