• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Pulled the brake levrl and the power cutoff

ciaochaz

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Ladies and Gents,

I just restored a 1980 CB750K and she was running fine. She was sitting in the driveway idling and I pulled the brake lever and all power shut off. No lights on the display, no headlight. Like the main fuse had blown. So I checked the main fuse and the fuses in the headset and all were fine. The battery is fully charged. A couple days ago I cleaned out the ignition switch and it is moving free and working correctly. When I pulled the brake lever it was like a switch was toggled to off and now there is no power. Any ideas? Thanks in Advance.

-Charlie

Attachments

• 20190809_154319.jpg
    20190809_154319.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 102
I just went down and connected the battery after about 45 minutes and she lit up! I tried to start her once or twice (my brand new battery is crap) and same as before, no power. So I tried jumping it and still no power. So I'm thinking grounding issue. I had pulled the starter yesterday to clean it up. I'm thinking I mucked something up in there. I'll check it out later and let ya all know the outcome.

It WAS the main fuse.

So I think when I initially removed the starter a bunch of 25 year old powdery gunk from the spinny part lumped onto the workings and shorted out the main fuse. I pulled the starter apart, cleaned up the insides, reinstalled, wired-in a 30 amp blade fuse and viola!

It turns out the intermittent power I was experiencing was the hairline break in the fuse that would momentarily make contact.

That main fuse is a joke. I replaced mine exactly like you only some 30 years ago when I touched the main and it simply crumbled into dust to have nothing there. One second it was there, then it didn't exist any more.

Back