• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Where to buy sprockets

Jacob2

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Like the title says I was wondering where you guys to get all of your sprockets at. I have a 1979 Honda CB 750k and I would like to change up the sprockets for highway use. All I can seem to find on the Internet is the stock, 15 tooth front and 38 and rear.
Also what would you suggest to run for highway use 60-70mph?

Those are perfect for that. 630 chain in that year, if you change your chain (need to likely anyway, if sprockets are bad chain is too) then go to looking for 1980 year instead. The chain dropped to 530 and plenty strong for that and allows for a LOT more choices in sprockets. 530 chain there is 18 front, 46 back and bolts right on. Honda later figured out that the 630 chain was overkill there and not needed.

Dennis Kirk has those parts.

Gotcha, I actually ordered a 17 tooth sprocket from them and it didn’t fit but it’s probably meant for a 530 chain.
My sprocket and chain are perfectly fine, I just didn’t like how it was running at high rpm because I do a lot of highway commute.
I’m just worried because my bike is running at 6000 RPM when I’m going 70 mph (redline is 9500).

You can bump up to 42 on the rear if you have 530 chain and the OEM rear sprocket for an '83 CB1100F, bolts right on but the chain would need to shorten and add a master link if an endless one.

I didn’t think it was going to be this complicated. I figured I could just buy like a 35 or 32 tooth rear sprocket and throw it on. Sounds like what I’ll do is when my chain and sprockets wear out I’ll just step down to a 530 chain and adjust the sprockets from there.

I guess my main question, is it hard on your bike if you’re running it at 6000 RPM for long periods of time ?

I went looking and you may be out of luck if still running the 630 chain. It was only used a little bit and it appears the sprocket makers may be dropping all 630 stuff since not used much to go to 530 by using '530 conversion kits'. And those don't go much smaller either on the rear. I ran the JT, Sunstar, and Parts Unlimited sprocket books to come up with that. SOHC does not fit, the hub pattern is different.

You need to verify 630 or not, measure carefully from pin center to center and 630 is 3/4" while 530 is 5/8". Each link may be stamped with it too, often done on the side of the plate if you wipe it off very well.

FWIW the '79 750F Supersport used 15/38-630 as OEM and that should be fine. Honda bike engines are nothing like Harleys and they like to spin fast all day long. You would be more likely to damage one lugging it too slow rather than spinning it.

I haven't chased sprockets in some time, the last time I looked they were available in almost any tooth you wanted, apparently today's world of much more limited inventory to control costs has changed that. I couldn't find any 30 series tooth in almost anything except very small bikes using small chain. We are now in a world where you kind of cater to the businesses rather than the other way around or the way it used to be. Take the unitized car part thing where you cannot get a simple bolt any longer, you have to buy the bigger part the bolt goes to now and often in a subassembly to buy several parts you don't need to get the one crap part you have to have. Everybody is pretty much doing that now, they don't want $5-$10 parts sales any longer, they want $100 or better if they can force it out of you.

Back