• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1980 CB750K

MillerMachine

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I recently"inherited" an '80 cb750k. I know little about these bikes. When I looked at the schematic there seems be alot of ignition components. I am old school guy is there anyway to eliminate this stuff? If not is anyone interested in a basically complete bike in Northern Kentucky area?
Thanks
Miller

I for one would never trade a modern fully electronic ignition for stone age points, it is a backwards move that makes no sense. And I ran points for many years.

I appreciate the response but I'm not asking anyone to question my intelligence or sanity
All I want to know is there an alternative to all the components in the ignition system and of there are who sells it
That's all I need to know.

cyclexchange.net has an aftermarket ignition setup for the dohc motor, but its not cheap. I would stick with stock setup just look on ebay etc for the parts you are missing. Unless you have the cash to go with the aftermarket setup. Kind of depends on what you are doing with the bike and if you can justify the expense.

I apologize for the way that answer was posed.

Went to cyclexchange and they don't seem to list that ignition any longer? I considered it problematic as it was optical and have experience with them, they can act up when anything gets on the light source or receiving lens. The cutout wheel was easy to damage too.

Dynatek made the S model self contained ignition but it is well known for failing due to having to run in hot oil on the DOHC, and when just now looking I was having trouble finding it too for DOHC, maybe quit making them? The higher end Dyna 2000 was known for lots of fails on the DOHC version too, the main module tended to overheat and fail suddenly.

I have never heard of any retro conversion back to points if that is a question. That means nothing though. The plate that would have to serve as points plate is smaller in diameter and putting points on it would be VERY crowded but the condensers could offload to another location and still work fine. The problem is that the SOHC and DOHC ignitions turn in different directions.

The first DOHC was never received as well as the SOHC was and product end of life is showing on most stuff for them, simply not enough running now to justify still making the parts. The SOHC will likely outlive it like it already has the later DOHC designs Honda made.

Last edited:
Back