• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1974 CB 750 pricing help (new to forum)

mnvkngs65

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a very general question I am asking help with.

I currently have a 75 CB550 and love the bike but am looking to move up in ccs.

I have a non-op clean title 74 CB750 to purchase in mind.

What I know- from current owner;

1) bike has been outside and uncovered for a least a couple years (so cal)
2) hasn't been started for at least a year and a half. Owner said he just didn't have time to ride and just left it parked (was told it ran fine prior to last start).
3) needs new tires
4) front brake is "frozen"
5) paint is obviously very faded - as expected. No obvious dents in tank or major damage on rest of bike noted.
6) I believe 60k + miles

Assuming the crank turns over any idea what i should offer this guy for the bike?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Ok, first, go look at it, ask if you can pull spark plugs a dump some marvel mystery oil into cylinders, then slowly kick over. If it's not locked up, 500 bucks

See if carbs open too, they may be scrap, the slides often seize hard like that. Fork tubes could be pitted beyond use.

I for one would not give nearly that much for it. Here we give away bikes like that for free. Last 2 DOHC I got were running and stored indoors, free. Life in Texas. LA will likely not be so kind.

Here it doesn't have to run but at $500 all of the parts must be useable and not stored outside. Except possibly exhaust. Outside storage automatically puts value at $200 or less unless it only went outside yesterday.

Last edited:
Appreciate the feedback. Had $500 in mind as well, how I can up with that figure God only knows.
I'm now thinking that figure may be high.
I won't be able to see the bike for a couple weeks but will inspect more closely and try the magic oil idea and check the carbs and forks, etc. as suggested. Excited about the possible project bike but worried I could be getting in over my head. Will let you guys know how it goes. Any other suggestions as to what I could/should easily check on the bike prior to purchasing?

Thanks!

You could buy endoscope for your phone and also inspect cylinder walls for scoring, corrosion etc
4889a1944c94d4f4b6175bc7fad8ff22.jpg

A slow rotation through with kickstarter will tell you most of that, you will feel any rust on the cylinder walls.

Thanks for the additional info. Assuming the owner will let me pull the plugs, how much of the magic oil do I need pour down each cylinder?

Go to the auto parts store and get a can of spray Seafoam with the extra long red tube about 14 inches long makes it easy to get into # 2&3 hole. Hold the spray button down about 2 seconds. The long tube is for getting past a cars throttle body so it does not harm the coating.:wink2: If you can not find the red tube use the normal red tube and slide it into some clear 1/4 in. fuel line.
edit about 12-14 inch of fuel line and put the other end into the plug hole.

Last edited:
1973 CB750.jpgCB750 orig carb.jpg
Here it is. $450 later. just finished rebuilding the carbs (before pic attached), there were no moving parts on the carbs..

Any ideas for a muffler? I'll start posting new threads from here out.

Thanks!

Back