• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Gauge cluster for CB900F

EWScroggins

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Iv'e got an 82' CB900F and I friggin love it. The previous owner had a lot of work done to it:
V&H 4-1 Exhaust
DynoJet the carbs
fork seals
new clutch
led turn signals
Rims from an 03' ZX9

The rims are causing my headaches today. In short the speedo does not work since the newer rims are not equipped with teh proper set up to work with the analog speedo. I am currently using a GPS speedo app on my phone, but that is getting annoying. I've looked at a few options. So my question is this: What do you all reccomend (on a budget) and how hard will it be to wire in a digital setup with either a GPS based speedo or the magnetic speedo?

I thought about going back to stock but I'd rather keep the ZX9 rims for better tires.

82CB900F.jpg

Most used Honda CBR600 wheels to get big tires on them and then speedo works.

If the VH pipe is the standard street one OK but if the supersport pipe they tend to crack super quick around the collector area, I would suggest adding another mount there to stabilize the shaking that makes the cracking happen. VH used some thinwall piping there. Lots of complaints and why they dropped the pipe.

Run the valve clearances, nobody ever does it and what commonly kills the engines. Set them at .005" instead of .003", the engine will love you for it.

Haven't cracked the engine open yet. I know I need to monitor timing chain tension on these older DOHC's.

Any particular years of CBR600 rims I should look for? I would love to keep the factory gauge setup if possible.

Not sure what model V&H they are. First bike I've owned that had actual aftermarket pipes. I used to just mod the factory exhaust due to budget restrictions.

Back