• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Oil tank relocation !!!!!

newtothe750

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Ok, so im new to all this and i see tons of bikes with empty triangles, where on earth do they put things and where do the put the oil tanks? some of these guys say they ride their bikes daily and then i hear others say that they relocate the oil tank to the gas tank and im not willing to do that just doesnt seem smart any ideas or can someone walk me through it ?

You could put it in the hump of a cafe seat. Or maybe in a flat tank under or in the seat. What style of bike are you taking about?

Some crazy bastards run without one.. Probably don't ride much or very far. I wouldn't do it.

I've seen a smaller flat tank that goes between the rear part of the frame where the inner fender should be.

Well i see the guys with the tracker seats and im wanting to do a cafe seat that has the hump and all but is two up so i can also have a passenger, im starting to think into the gas tank will be a good idea, ive found that my 79 cb750 holds about 2 litres of oil, so if i mount 2 oil coolers that each hold .6 litres then i would only need an oil tank to hold the other .8, im not sure if it can be done like this but is there any insight into the idea that would mean id have to find someone to fab a tank that holds .8 litres or 48.8 cubic inches of oil...... maybe a little more to vent properly...... not even sure what im talking about lol but it sounds like it would work

OK, just my humble opinion but those open triangles seem like too much of a fad - and too much work. LOL. Cleaning up that area by mounting a cool oil tank, and relocating the electrics to one of the Santee-like boxes behind the jugs like the chopper guys do looks much cooler to me. Even a cafe bike looks better to me if you can see the working parts.

I may be beating a dead horse, but I was planning on placing it above the bottom-end behind the air filters and in front of the "triangle". I'm still in the process of tearing down my first engine, so what do I know? Will make rectangular AL tank and mounting bracket; possibly displaying the electronics hovering above that or opposite the air filters. .

I've been wondering, why haven't I seen any CB750 builds that puts a custom oil tank in the space under the PODs?

CB750 OilTankOption.jpg

This area is open on most builds... it a bit hot there or why?

When you have to work on or adjust the carbs then you have a oil tank in the way that you have to mess with. In my opinion I think it looks funny without a tank in the triangle.

Well i see the guys with the tracker seats and im wanting to do a cafe seat that has the hump and all but is two up so i can also have a passenger, im starting to think into the gas tank will be a good idea, ive found that my 79 cb750 holds about 2 litres of oil, so if i mount 2 oil coolers that each hold .6 litres then i would only need an oil tank to hold the other .8, im not sure if it can be done like this but is there any insight into the idea that would mean id have to find someone to fab a tank that holds .8 litres or 48.8 cubic inches of oil...... maybe a little more to vent properly...... not even sure what im talking about lol but it sounds like it would work

The 79 CB750 is a DOHC engine and does not have the oil tank, all the oil is in the engine / trans

What is the rule about the amount of oil the the should contain? I'm thinking of placing a custom oil tank under the carbs and the battery under the the rear bridge. Any tips?

Sorry to resurrect a 3 year old topic, but chances are this question keeps on coming back.. We, Outsiders Motorcycles from the Netherlands, have been working on this problem for the last 3 years. We've come up with a kit that enables you to completely remove the stock oiltank on virtually all sohc 750's. Please take a look on www.SumpThing.net as this is the designated product page. You could also click here to go to the webshop directly. If you have any questions regarding the kit, don't hessitate to shoot an email at 'outsidersmotorcycles@gmail.com'

Thanks!

fb-ad-sumpthing.jpg

Last edited:
Again I point out the DOHC is as well an 'ohc' cammed engine in the definition of what it means and cannot use that set up....................so the word 'virtually' is misplaced. Might wanna slip an 's' in front of that 'ohc' there for clarification.

Again I point out the DOHC is as well an 'ohc' cammed engine in the definition of what it means and cannot use that set up....................so the word 'virtually' is misplaced. Might wanna slip an 's' in front of that 'ohc' there for clarification.

Show me one dohc 750 with a stock dry-sump system then 🧐
Just kidding, changed it to clarify. Thanks!

Sorry to resurrect a 3 year old topic, but chances are this question keeps on coming back.. We, Outsiders Motorcycles from the Netherlands, have been working on this problem for the last 3 years. We've come up with a kit that enables you to completely remove the stock oiltank on virtually all ohc 750's.......

Bert, what's your production status/timeframe like (since you don't have any in stock)? I'm considering the sumpthing for a bike I'm rebuilding and it might be a good option.

Back