• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

CB750- Can an F become a C?

gdcpony

CB750 New member
Reaction score
A Marine just informed me that he liked my '77 XS650 project more than what he was building- or having me build- from his bike. He bought a 750F with the intention of just getting it on the road and then adding aesthetics later. His original plan was to build it as a Super Sport again. Now he wants a cruiser look as close to mine as he can get. Usually I would tell him to suck it up, but I have been stumbling on 750C parts all the time as I sourced his parts. A quick look and the frames seemed identical. So this spawned the idea that I might be able to source his parts from the Custom and he would have his cruiser without much issue.

You must understand that this Marine is not even close to rich. He bought this bike to learn how to work on bikes with his first bike. It is a mess. No body pieces to speak of. The motor is good, but needs tuned badly. The suspension is shot. Just check out the pic below and you'll understand that he is in way over his head. In fact, this is more than I was ready for (which I realized when he called me out to ride it to my house for him before he got his license) in terms of tracking down every little part for a bike I am not familiar with.

I need to know what parts I can use from the custom on this frame with wires and a motor. Could someone advise me on this? I am specifically interested in side covers, fenders, wheel differences, and airbox options. Also Google images failed me so could I get some pics of different paint schemes that have been tried before he comes up with some completely off the wall ideas for me to spray on for him.

He just ordered tires in the F sizes so the rims will stay for now. I scrounged two mufflers for him that should work from a shop that sells off their take offs they are Harley, but they should look ok. He has also already ordered the passenger peg/exhaust hanger bracket for the F which seems from the pics I have seen to be longer than the C's. Is this going to pose an issue?

All in all this young Marine seems willing to put in the time so I would like him to be rewarded with a bike worth his -and my- time and effort. He is going to have a decent investment in this bike that he will never be able to recoup should he try to sell it later. I want him to see it as worth it from the joy of creating a one of a kind bike just for him.

Here is what we are starting with. Plus a plywood seat and the F's gas tank. Yep, it is a real piece of... something.
292316_428067793911008_923929587_n.jpg

And my other toys. On the lift ready for new rubber is my work vehicle, a 2006 Virago 250 that gets 80-90mpg. Beside it is my first bike that I just got back for my daughter's first project and vehicle the 1977 XS650. Beside the CB is my 2005 Sportster 1200R.
563281_510108069040313_2086932883_n.jpg

Been a while, but here is how far it is. It took longer than we thought due to him being gone on "business."

We stayed with F parts. I scrounged up a seat for $30. I got the carbs somewhat tuned, but advised him to have them gone through by someone more skilled than I soon. The frame was welded back up (fabbed back would be more appropriate). Those are the Harley mufflers too.
995698_562743053776814_1384398496_n.jpg
1010252_562743083776811_1173549256_n.jpg
1013918_562742907110162_957073305_n.jpg

The brakes are the issue now. After replacing the MC's I am finding caliper issues (stuck) and rebuilding them as he can afford. He'll probably need new lines too, but they work for now with now sponginess in them.

I always thought that the supersport was a great looking bike. I'm glad to hear he decided to stick with the F parts. I've heard that rejetting DOHC carbs with pods is a nightmare, maybe you could come up with an original airbox to make tuning the carbs easier.

the cv carbs can run with pods. i did it on my 1980 cb750f i changed the jetting to 120 main and 75 secondary air mixture screws are set to 2.25 out. im running a 4 into 1 kerker. i also have seen others running them. guess their not for the timid.

Back