• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

80' CB750F con rod bolt discontinued

route90

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi there folks. New here to the forum. The connecting rod bolts for my 1980 CB750F have been discontinued. Saw on youtube (HackaweekTV) which im sure some of you guys may know, the guy used later connecting rod bolts for his 73' cb750 and I was wondering I can use the 73' connecting rod bolts as they are still available.
First photo is for my bike, second photo is of his bike. I know they look completely different but just wondering. Thanks in advance peeps.
boltconnrod_medium13213422004-01_bbd2.jpg
boltconnrod_medium13213333003-01_a4f8.jpg

The rods look similar but are a different design at the '78-'79 year split. The SOHC and DOHC do not use the same rod. Any rod or rod bolt from '79-'83 750 will work regardless of model. 900-1100 use same physical size bolt but a different type, the rods do not interchange as they are longer than 750 rods. If you change entire rod get one that has the same weight code letter on it to prevent vibration.

Ok, Thanks. Since the rod bolts are the same for the 750 (F, SC, K, etc...) from 79 thru to 80 and are discontinued... im essentially hooped right? ok last question, the 78' cb750 connecting rod bolt looks similar to the 79-83's (13214-410-003 for the 78 vs 13204-689-004 for the 79-83) but it either looks longer or just the grooves look longer. if it's longer, can I shorten it? lol. Worst case scenario, i'll just sell the bike after getting it to working condition and look for a 78 model. Weird how the later models have a lot of discontinued parts compared to the earlier models. Thanks again for the help.

I wouldn't complain, the later ones still had parts covering mostly 20 years, try getting that from cars now where parts are NLA at 6 years often now.

I'd be comparing rod bolt OD before I spent a cent, they MUST be EXACT, the bolt lines up the rod halves and not the same will destroy the rod in seconds.

It would be easier to just find a complete weight matched set of rods. When you yank rod bolts best practice says you should remachine them in the big end in case the new bolt moves the part to not line up.

Hello. I know it's an old thread.

But I need to change the connecting rod bolts on a cb 900 F 83 and they are also discontinued.

Do you know any alternative? Thanks in advance

o deary me there isn't is there, but because they have gold wing and 750's they might know which ones are the same as your 900, worth an email .

Back