Thread: Whining noise

Whining noise

Trying to get a 78k cb750 running again. I had a friend install a new wiring harness (because I have no experience with electrical work). I just installed a new headlight assembly which is metal and not plastic (might make a difference?). I plugged in the headlight and turned the key. It came on but was accompanied by a high pitch buzzing whining noise. The headlight is grounded to the mounting bolts. Is the metal casing making that noise or are the wires messed up?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter1919 View Post
    Trying to get a 78k cb750 running again. I had a friend install a new wiring harness (because I have no experience with electrical work). I just installed a new headlight assembly which is metal and not plastic (might make a difference?). I plugged in the headlight and turned the key. It came on but was accompanied by a high pitch buzzing whining noise. The headlight is grounded to the mounting bolts. Is the metal casing making that noise or are the wires messed up?
    I don't think the wires would cause this. I would tap around on the bucket and listen for any movement and start taking it back apart and see what is loose it is most likely is metal on metal (where the bucket makes contact with the fork ears) that might need a fiber washer to fix it. If that is what you have to do make sure you maintain your ground.

Look for the audio turn signal buzzer on that one, they used them around that year to let driver know the signals were still working. That one may be acting up, simply unplug it to stop the noise.

Sorry I shouldve closed out this thread. After many attempts I got everything wired right and the noise went away.

However i am having problems with my speedometer lights and running lights. I was going to start a new thread but I'll just ask yall.

Wires all have continuity. Running lights only work in park. No speedometer or tachometer lights. All new bulbs. Got a new ignition switch and that didnt fix it. Power to the fuse is 5-6 volts. Is it supposed to only have that much or does it need the full 12?