• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Leaking Carburators

GPER

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm a newbie and this is my first post on the forum. What a tremendous resource for the CB750 fanatics. I owned a K-2 back in 1973 when I was much much younger and on a whim looked a a fresh restoration of a 1971 CB750K1. After starting it I immediately traveled back almost 50 years, so I purchased it. However I digress. Once the weather broke, I took it out and at first she ran fine, but I noticed some a sluggish throttle at 3000 rps. I only put on 5-6 miles so I brought back and pulled the plugs. They were black and sooty........clearly to rich. I am running Sunoco 100 ethenol-free gas but I am sure that's not the issue. I stuck in some new plugs and new OEM filter and took her out this evening. Same result black and sooty plugs and she ran worse stalling a couple of times. Interesting I forgot to turn of the gas petcock and noticed all 4 carbs were leaking thru the over flow tubes. I need some collective wisdom and direction. Where do I start? Did I say this was a fresh restoration!

I would start by pulling the carbs and cleaning them out and probably put some new float needles, and you can see what it has for pilot and main jets and see what position the clip in the needle is in . leaking in the overflow is a float and or needle problem. The early carbs had all metal needles with no rubber tip so any little piece of dirt causes them to leak.

I would go through everything. New points and condensors, set timing/dwell, adjust timing chain, adjust valves...would be good to do a compression test at this time so you know if the engine is healthy enough to continue with. Carb sync ones cleaned out.

Start with the basics

I would start by pulling the carbs and cleaning them out and probably put some new float needles, and you can see what it has for pilot and main jets and see what position the clip in the needle is in . leaking in the overflow is a float and or needle problem. The early carbs had all metal needles with no rubber tip so any little piece of dirt causes them to leak.

I would go through everything. New points and condensors, set timing/dwell, adjust timing chain, adjust valves...would be good to do a compression test at this time so you know if the engine is healthy enough to continue with. Carb sync ones cleaned out.

Start with the basics

Thank you sir.

Back