• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1979 seat compatibility

StobbJobb

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I am working on restoring my first bike and had a quick question about seat compatibility.
I have a 1979 CB750L, but the seat that came with is is torn, worn and base is rusted out. I just got a decent offer on a 1980 CB750C seat and I was wondering what the chances were of making this seat work for my bike.
I know the C has a different cover pattern, but I would be willing to re-skin it if I can make it work.
Thanks in advance for the comments and apologies for any ignorance in the matter, still trying to figure out which parts are compatible between models.

'79 what, changing models sometimes doesn't fit. The C, K, and L are all pretty much the same, the F absolutely is not.

I’m no expert, but 79 seats are all different. 79K is a limited edition that had a seat shaped similar to a cb750F, but is not compatible with an F. 79 cb750L is the 10th anniversary of the K, and I believe it is compatible with 80-82 CB750K. 80 CB750C and F have different tank shapes than K, so the trim doesn’t line up proper.

You are right. I went to partzilla to compare them all. The '79K seat is hinged and folds up, the '80K is solid mounted, they will not interchange. My mistake there.

The C looks like same seat except pattern of covering but the C tank is slightly more sloped at the back and it may make a difference. The K seat front is more vertical but may fit once you sit on it to press the front down to tank. That's on '80 and later though.

There is some complication there too in calling '79K a 'limited', which is what the L in '80 model means. The two are not the same. the early one has spoked wheels and the '80 has the Comstar mags. Both have the side cover badges but obviously the seats are not the same, it creates confusion. Having a '79L model next to a separate 'limited' just makes it worse.

Last edited:
I'm gonna say the '80C seat will go on the '79L, the mounting parts are the same. Check out the partzilla Honda parts breakdowns to see.

Back