• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

New Member with a Project CB750A Automatic

Springer2

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi all, we are from western PA. We came across this 78 CB750A and bought it today as a new project. While a new member here, I have been riding and working on motorcycles for almost 50 years. That said, I have no experience with automatic transmission motorcycles. This Honda has not been ridden this year but the previous owner said the carbs were serviced last year and STABIL was added to the gas when stored. The battery is dead so when we got it home I tired a jump box and the engine cranked but it would not start. Adding some starting fluid it fired but only ran until the fluid was used up. I will check the fuel delivery and go from there. It has some things missing/modified over the years and I am sure finding some of this will be a challenge. We have no time frame to get this running so no rush and we look forward to learning along the way. Here is a picture with the project supervisor, my wife. Looking forward to this and we will have many questions. :)

47822910221_131e0c693e_b.jpg

Springer, did you get the bike running?

Not yet. I noticed the carbs were modified some but did not notice that there was an air leak and the carbs had been swapped for standard CB750 carbs. Did get it to start with a little starting fluid but it was not running on all cylinders. It was after that I seen the carb air leak. We did find a set of the correct carbs but the smaller manifolds were very hard even after trying to soften them a little. Everyone of the manifolds split some when installing even after coating with silicon grease. I did see an ad for new manifolds on eBay but they were way expensive like $165 as I recall. We have been real busy lately so have not worked on it for a while but hope to soon.

Thanks for the link. I would be very happy with the stock carbs we have now as they are setup for the Automatic. Our issue is the bad manifolds and we get past that, it is pretty much plug and play.

vintagecb750.com has new aftermarket boots for $120. You really dont have much choice anymore either new aftermarket or watch ebay and hope you get a set that are slightly pliable.

Back