• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1975 cb750f -purpose of the black wire.

mustardCB750f

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I bought this bike a little over a year ago in a box so I had no reference as to where anything went beforehand. The bike is almost complete now but I've been dealing with issue after issue on the wiring side of things, if seems like every time I fix something, something else stops working. I had the bike running on all 4 cylinders and getting it ready for a carb sync when I ran into the issue of blowing the main fuse immediately after the bike would start, I traced the issue to crossed wires on the regulator, that seems to have fixed the blowing fuses issue, but a new one arose... I was now only running on the 2 outer cylinders fed by the yellow lead off the points. As for the inner cylinders, the plugs are not fouled and if I switch the wires for the coils I get power to them. I seem to be also getting power through the black and white wire coming from the kill switch. I checked the rest of my wires and they all seem to be connected in the proper places, the only thing I can think of is when I had the wires switched on the regulator, I might have fried it as I am getting power throughout the black wire. If anyone can help me or give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated as I am now at a standstill.
882f77b2c068829e8ec62b961d6f8a2f.jpg

I bought this bike a little over a year ago in a box so I had no reference as to where anything went beforehand. The bike is almost complete now but I've been dealing with issue after issue on the wiring side of things, if seems like every time I fix something, something else stops working. I had the bike running on all 4 cylinders and getting it ready for a carb sync when I ran into the issue of blowing the main fuse immediately after the bike would start, I traced the issue to crossed wires on the regulator, that seems to have fixed the blowing fuses issue, but a new one arose... I was now only running on the 2 outer cylinders fed by the yellow lead off the points. As for the inner cylinders, the plugs are not fouled and if I switch the wires for the coils I get power to them. I seem to be also getting power through the black and white wire coming from the kill switch. I checked the rest of my wires and they all seem to be connected in the proper places, the only thing I can think of is when I had the wires switched on the regulator, I might have fried it as I am getting power throughout the black wire. If anyone can help me or give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated as I am now at a standstill.
882f77b2c068829e8ec62b961d6f8a2f.jpg
I've figured it out! So I'm still not 100% sure about the purpose of the black wire, but I believe it's anauxiliary power source or a common ground. The issue was in the points system, the yellow wire going to coil for cylinders 2-3 was frayed and contacting the base plate, I repaired the connection and I had spark on all 4 cylinders. I even had the time tonight to sync my carbs.
a92300f280d6c05456e919b169649e9d.jpg

I've figured it out! So I'm still not 100% sure about the purpose of the black wire, but I believe it's anauxiliary power source or a common ground. The issue was in the points system, the yellow wire going to coil for cylinders 2-3 was frayed and contacting the base plate, I repaired the connection and I had spark on all 4 cylinders. I even had the time tonight to sync my carbs.
a92300f280d6c05456e919b169649e9d.jpg
Here is the picture of the repair
ea2862d040508b1f38c27eacc5b23f6e.jpg

Back