Thread: A little rant

A little rant

Sorry for this, but it seems way too prevalent these days. Someone asks a question on a forum that they could have answered themselves with a two-minute Google search, FSM search, or a look at the parts fische easily found on a dozen different dealer's web sites (I prefer Southern Powersports, YMMV). What really bugs me, is if you send them a LINK to the info, they come back with another question that the same link answers! I feel that in today's world, inability to handle simple internet searches and maintain a list of bookmarks is like inability to use a torque wrench or find your 10mm socket!
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

While I agree that searching would answer most questions you also have to realize that not every IS internet and computer savvy. My dad knows just enough to find some basic stuff on internet but is one of the best mechanics I know and gets most parts locally even though he could have found them cheaper online but doesnt know where to look or even really thinks about looking for the stuff online. Its just old school thinking. Also that is somewhat the point of these forums as a place to search for answers. If everyone googled everything then there would be a point for the forums would there? Also no one is forcing anyone to look or answer peoples questions in these posts. If you find something repetitive or annoying to you then just dont look or answer that post, simple. No one makes you read the posts and no one makes you answer the same question over and over. If it really bothers you just go on to the next post. What seems obvious to one person is not necessarily obvious to the next person, we all comprehend things differently and all have different levels of mechanical ability. We are all here to help and pass on knowledge to others lets try to understand and not let things get too serious and dont let the stuff bother you. This is all supposed to be fun and helpful.

Was this supposed to be a dress-down for my little rant, dirtdigger? If so, and you intended to offend me - well done!
    Last edited by pidjones; 05-04-2019 at 05:47 PM.

Not meant to offend anybody, and if you took it that way well I guess thats your issue. It was meant to shed light on what you perceive as a problem with other people and how they get information. It seems you were looking for an audience when you wrote your post so here I am There are ways of dealing with people that post on here and not be somewhat condescending as you have been in some of your posts lately. You dont need to talk down to user of the site when they ask a question. Like I said before if what they are saying or asking irritates you, then you dont have to reply to them, simple as that.

I canít find my gotdam 10mm socket again! That must be the 4th one this year! Gotdam socket trolls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On other forums i have been on people get off thier high horse and help the new riders. If you don't like questions, ignore them. Google can lie.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

As indicated by my OP, I have been attempting to help - plus provide links to where they can help themselves. I have provided links to pdf copies of FSM, and then have the questioner admit after many trouble-shooting steps that they had not read the FSM for that issue, and finally end up finding and fixing through setting up as the FSM specifies. I have linked parts fiche for folks numerous times when they ask where something goes (after making sure the fiche includes a readable assembly drawing of the part in question) and have the questioner ask over and over again questions answered by the fiche.

The rant was hoped to jar a few into learning to use the tools they have available. Maybe even to trigger the experienced to help the novice to learn about using their resources. Having spent my last 17 years in professional life as an instructor, I found that spoon-feeding instructions never matched the learning gained through giving the resources and encouraging self-discovery. It is a common adult-learning theme.

Google lie? Surely you jest!

Yet your reply to my question about tires was very helpfull. I posted on here because the reviews online are for other bikes. I wanted people who ride similar bikes to give an opinion . Instead you leave a snarky response.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

And when did I leave a snarky response to a Question?