• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1991 750 leaking oil from lower left bolt hole of stator cover

Will

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Am very naive to working on my bike, learning as I can. Started my 1991 Nighthawk 750 after sitting over winter and a fairly good flow of oil was pooling on garage floor. Tracked it to coming from Stator cover on left side. Removed 3 bolts and cover. Started again and oil was oozing quite readily from the lower left bolt hole. There was no gasket between cover and the rest of the housing and no washers or anything I could see, so I imagine the leak must be from something blown back behind the charging system??? I don't know if removing the alternator would allow me to get back there to something I can fix or if this is likely something more catastrophic that should be left to a shop. I considered removing the bolt holding the fan on and trying to take things apart but didn't know if I was just going to bugger things up and thought I'd get some wisdom from the group on what might have gone wrong and how bad things might be.

Thanks

Will
1991 Nighthawk 750
Decent rider, newbie mechanic

Back