• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Front brake pads make scraping sound

MagicMoose

CB750 Member
Reaction score
This is a 1980 750C.

I removed my front wheel in order to take off the fender so I could paint it. When I removed the front wheel, I did not remove the brake unit as I just needed enough clearance so I could get my wrench on the fender bolts. I just removed the axle holders.

After putting back on the front wheel, it makes an audible squeaking/scraping noise at low speeds. I don't know how to adjust the brake pads or do what's necessary to fix this.

Any ideas?

:umm:

Attachments

• 20190421_135702.jpg
    20190421_135702.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 20190421_135717.jpg
    20190421_135717.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 144
Get a manual and read it before doing such maintenance! There is a specific procedure to follow when re-mounting the front wheel to make sure it is centered in the calipers and the caps are tightened in the proper sequence.

In the shop manual on page 13-18, it just says "Fit the calipers over the disk, taking care not to damage the brake pads. Install the axle holders with the "F" arrow forward."

In the Clymer manual p. 221, it says "1. Make sure the axle bearing surfaces of the fork slider and the lower clamps are free from dirt or small burrs. 2. Remove the wood piece(s) from the caliper(s). [a reference to their note to put a piece of wood between the calipers after removal] 3. Position the wheel in place, carefully inserting the disc between the pads." Then it goes on to talk about installing the axle clamps, speedo.

So it sounds like I need to remove the caliper assembly, and carefully position it over the disc before reinstalling. Any other suggestions?

Ignore the Clymer manual. Use Honda's. It should have something about tightening one cap and checking caliper/disk clearance before tightening the other cap. The supplied tool kits even had feeler gauges to check with. The calipers can remain mounted, but there is enough flex in the fork tubes and sliders that you need to seat one side, tighten (usually on the axle nut side) then adjust the other side for caliper clearance.

Also, the part about wood between the pads (cedar shims from home improvement store or even doubled cardboard in a pinch) to keep them spred is something to follow. Helps a LOT when someone comes along and squeezes a brake lever while the wheel is off, but also keeps them from creeping in.

Back