• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1976 CB750, Interesting Conundrums

esmeenge

CB750 Member
Reaction score
All,

Let me introduce myself. I am Evan. I just bought a 1976 CB750 for $550. There are some problems. I believe the kid I bought it from didn't really know what he was doing when he was trying to figure out why it died on him..... things I found out today:

No fuse box - Unless i'm looking in the wrong spot..... it should bump out at me.

I believe he replaced the regulator and rectifier with a Reg/Rec combo, but there is no connector to the alternator/stator. - check the photos for more detail, is this a regulator/rectifier combo?

There are some dents on the chrome plate on the right side of the engine - is this a problem and should i replace that cover?

There is an interesting part attached to the wiring harness... maybe you can figure out what it is... and maybe it's obvious.

The guy said he replaced the clutch cable, but he never secured it to anything so it melted through to the housing... i'm thinking that should be replaced.

There will be more, I just wanted to get the opinion of smarter and more experienced folks about these problems.

IMG_20190419_164956.jpgIMG_20190419_163150.jpgIMG_20190419_163140.jpg

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Evan

The white device with the round part is the switch for your ignition switch - it goes below the casting that the key turns. The three yellow wires from the alternator should connect to the rectifier and two other wires to the alternator are for the field and connect to associated wires on the regulator.

The white device with the round part is the switch for your ignition switch - it goes below the casting that the key turns.
This is great! Thank you! That helps and makes way more sense!

The three yellow wires from the alternator should connect to the rectifier and two other wires to the alternator are for the field and connect to associated wires on the regulator.

But is that a reg/rec combo in that photo? thats what it seems like. I don't see a regulator on the bike.

Looking at a schematic for a system with split units, the white (with return on green) is for the field, and red/white the output, so it looks like that coresponds to your wires.
Do some Googling, and you can find pdf service manuals online.

Do some Googling, and you can find pdf service manuals online.

I have googled..... I'm assuming the black box is a regulator/rectifier combo.... so, what is the best way to use that after market combo unit and connect it to the alternator/stator. Perhaps there is a wiring harness that transfers the stock alternator harness to the aftermarket regulator/rectifier.

Yes the black finned item is the regulator...it is and aftermarket setup. With how bad the wiring has been butchered I would put a new harness in it and start from there. Its going to be terribly hard to help online with what looks like a pretty cut up wiring harness.

Yes the black finned item is the regulator...it is and aftermarket setup. With how bad the wiring has been butchered I would put a new harness in it and start from there. Its going to be terribly hard to help online with what looks like a pretty cut up wiring harness.

Dirtdigger to the rescue again! <3

Back