• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Running BUT not sucking gas from carbs

MotersickleBum

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, i cleaned the carbs and i am able to get it running on starting fluid so i thought the hardest part was behind me. it will run but only on starting fluid even though i installed and filed the tank and gas is flowing to the carbs. i'm figuring that even if there is a vacuum leak, it should run but not very well. i had it tached-up to 2500rpm with starting fluid but can't keep it running. i pulled the carbs again and everything looks good. is it possible that these cheap plastic floats are bad and not allowing enough gas in the bowls?

but i got the tank painted anyway.

01111_eoG2Ia9xW8J_1200x900.jpg

Can you pull the bowls off and open petcock? Ummm, keep all floats closed, and open 1 at a time to see if you really do have gas flow. It really sounds like a gas cap issue to me

well yes, i could put it back together without the bowls but what i decided to do is to add gas to the carbs on my bench and then unscrew the drains and measure how much gas comes from each bowl. i had to stop because i ran out of light. will resume in the morning. this test will also tell me if a float is sticking open. but i was really dumbfounded that it wouldn't run when i put gas to it. i'm sure that it will though. this thing only has 4K miles on it. it just turned over 4k too. if i can get it running well it will be a fun, vintage bike to ride.

Back