• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

New member with a clutch problem

HMBdreamer

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody!
I have been lurking here and elsewhere for a while now, and the info I’ve learned from questions and answers already posted has been extremely valuable.
I have recently run into a problem on my CB750K3 that I can’t find information on.
First a little background.
This is a bike that I bought in 1998 and with the help of a good Honda shop fixed up to my liking. It was a reliable daily driver/commuter until 2004 when it broke down, and it had been parked since then until I decided I needed a project about 6 months ago.

In order to get her back on the road I have done quite a bit of work from solving the problem that caused her to be mothballed in the first place to preparing her to run again after sitting for 15 years. Also some “learning experiences” that needed to be dealt with.
Work completed so far:
New regulator/rectifier installed
New Dyna coils installed
New Dyna-s ignition installed
(These items were the source or the initial problem that caused her to be mothballed for all these years)
New spark plugs
New oil and filter
New oil pan and gasket installed(mistakes were made)
New copper crush gaskets for Kerker style 4 into 1 exhaust which had to be removed to access oil pan.
New stator cover gasket
New shifter cover gasket (Helicoil in one stripped hole)
Carbs cleaned and new gaskets/o-rings installed
New fuel lines, fuel filters, and petcock gaskets.

I will try to post some pictures, but I haven’t figured out how just yet.

There is a question coming I just wanted to first let you all in on my project.

84F78CBE-0A23-4128-A8D8-C08879A3F26E.jpg

That’s the old girl!
I think she photographs nicely.

This past Saturday was the day that all of the hours in the garage, and all of the Hours doing research on the internet and watching YouTube videos had led up to. After a couple of false starts, and a few tweaks she awoke from her long slumber. I was just giddy.

I spent part of Sunday adjusting fuel lines, checking and rechecking the oil level, watching for gas or oil leaks, tightening exhaust bolts (found another stripped bolt hole, but managed to get purchase on a few threads with a slightly longer bolt. I think there is another Helicoil job in my future the next time I take off that exhaust.)

On Monday I sanded and repainted the muffler, installed the front fender, secured the fuel tank, and put the seat on. It was time for a shakedown ride.

I’m finally getting to my question.

I rode around the parking lot for about 5 minutes and everything seemed pretty good but the clutch felt a little “mushy”.
As I pulled back up to my garage, I pulled the clutch in and it felt as if the cable broke. I was in first gear, but it didn’t lurch and stall like I thought it would, but it was like it was in neutral but I knew it wasn’t. I shut it off and put it in neutral.
I checked the cable - it was intact. I removed the outer clutch cover and the release lever was pulled out slightly. I moved it with my finger and it snapped back into place.
Now, the clutch lever has resistance and feels like it is actuating the clutch, but the clutch doesn’t release. I started the engine in neutral and tried to pull in the clutch and shift into gear, but it just “grinds” and doesn’t go in. With the engine off I can shift into gear.
I attempted to adjust the clutch but nothing changed.

I know I’ll need to open up the clutch, but I won’t be able to this weekend.
I wonder if the actuator broke or something with the spring plate...

If anyone has any idea what might have happened please tell me what I may be looking at to fix this.

Any insight into what may be going on would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

Problem Solved!
It turned out to be stuck together clutch plates. I guess it is a fairly common clutch issue for bikes that have been sitting for a long time.
At the advice of someone from a different forum (a member named jgger at sohc4.net) I got it working again.
The remedy was "with the motor off put it in 3rd gear or higher then pull the clutch lever and rock the bike forward then backward. You can tell when the plates break free because it will be easier to push."
I hope this helps someone else with the same problem!

Back