• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1992 Honda Nighthawk troubleshooting Help

ryanpham803

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a new rider and riding a 1992 cb750

What I've done with help from a mechanic:
-Carb Clean (literally 1-2 weeks ago)
-Oil Change ( with carb clean)
-new battery(last week)

Today, I was riding my Nighthawk and I was throttling and then my RPMs started to go down and as I came to a stop my bike stalled. Pulled over, tried to start it, did not turn on. Tried it with the choke turned on, and it came back to life... only for a mile later and then the same problem happened again. Now, I tried turning the bike on without the choke, struggled, then with the choke and it revved all the way to only 2k(usually it would go to 4k then i would turn off the choke). After awhile of idling it stalled itself again.

What could be the problem? I have looked up what it might be, people said its a clogged jet, or filter problems. Anything else that might cause this to happen?

Thanks,

Ryan

27 year-old bike. How does the inside of the tank look? Fuel line have an inline filter? A carb clean is wasted if you don't make sure the fuel stays clean going to it. Is the battery being charged? Sounds a little like it is running down. charge it, and if that gets it running good again begin troubleshooting the charging system. I'd start with the battery connections - make sure they are clean and tight.

Did you ever get this sorted out? I second Jones' advice on clean fuel and a clogged pilot circuit. As soon as debris from an old (rusted?) tank gets through the fuel line and into the carbs, the pilot jets get clogged and you lose idle. An in-line fuel filter is helpful, as well as replacing the fuel line. Drain each float bowl and make sure you have fuel coming out of the bottom (small slotted screw at bottom of carb). Take a look inside the tank. If it's bad, you can acid wash it for relatively cheap... or you may have to go all the way and reseal it. Good luck with everything and enjoy your nighthawk. IMG_20190701_200931759.jpg

FYI, if ethanol used in the local fuel.............well bikes don't like it at all. It eats the steel fuel tanks alive and commonly the rust can be so fine that almost every filter out there will pass some of it.

Back