• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Number of Plates and Disks

JamesC

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi!

Just opened up the clutch on my K5 to find 7 friction disks and 5 plates.

I’m guessing, becuses I don’t seem to be able to find anything anywhere, that there should be 1 less plate than disk.

So the question is, has someone been in there before me and left out a plate OR put in an extra disk.

Any help greatfully received.

James

Could be an aftermarket setup. Does the clutch work? If it does run it. Post a couple pictures of the clutch stack.

Hi

The clutch is running but quite a bit of slippage which is why I opened it up / planned to replace the disks (which on inspection do need replacing).

What I found was, working from the back clutch plate, disk, plate, disk, plate, disk disk and then all the other disks and plates (confused? I know I was lol)

This can’t be right, can it?

I really need some pictures. are there actually two disks in the center or is it the cushion disk that has come apart? Sounds to me like it has some sort of aftermarket clutch in it because there are more plates then stock.

So the bad news is, I threw away the old disks

The disks looked exactly like the replacement ones I’ve purchased.
They don’t have the spiral groves, they have the vertical groves.

Appreciate this might be tricky without a picture.

BAADCBD9-DF01-45FA-977C-9D5C659850BA.jpg

Appreciate this isn’t a picture, it is however exactly why the clutch looks like :)

So have you tried to install the new clutch? Just install per the instructions and run it. The number of plates in the stack may differ from brand to brand.

Back