• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Shipping an Engine for rebuild

2smoooth

2smoooth
Reaction score
I am getting set to ship my engine to have it restored and wanted to see if this group had any advice on shipping.

Currently I have built a crate (using a pallet for a base) and that piece is complete. Wondered what thoughts are for securing the engine to the crate. I had been thinking about either building mounts to match up to the front / rear engine mounting points? I had also heard of people simply putting an old car tire down on the base and strapping the engine to that.

Anyone shipped an engine before and have advice?

Thanks!

Screw the crate to the pallet put lots of stuffing around the engine to hold it in place( I used sploosh bags from work) you could use the Great Foam Insulation sprayed into plastic bags to keep it from shifting in the crate.

Also depends on whether it will be trucked or sent by air. If going by air, it needs very good protection as the handling is pretty rough. If all by truck freight, will probably be all forklift handled if on the correct pallet, and usually (unless they ram a fork through the packaging or wreck the truck) much easier on what you ship. At least, that is what we found shipping cyclotron parts and instruments.

Appreciate the replies.. in this case I took an existing 48x40 pallet, attached a sheet of 3/4" plywood to the base. Then built a crate that will go on top of that.

This will also be truck shipped so hopefully a bit more safe that way.

You can screw some strategically placed blocks to the pallet that keep the motor from moving around then use some ratcheting straps to hold it down to the pallet. Or if your handy you could make some metal brackets that bolt to the motor and attach to the pallet. The biggest thing you want is the engine to not shift around in the box.

You can do that. The only reason I do not like to flip them over is so any debri that is in the engine stays where it is as it was in the bike, if there is an issue internally the debris and the location of the debris can be helpfull in determining what caused the issue or failure.

Back