• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Trusted mechanics in the Phoenix area?

Mwyatt

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I've got a '72 750 that I inherited. Just restored but burns oil in all four cyclinders. I'm thinking rings or something but I'm not that familiar with working that far into an engine.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a trusted mechanic in the Phoenix area?

If it has been setting a long time unridden, the wisdom that I always hear is to ride it. Rings stick and need time to free up. I'd give it a couple hundred miles, keeping an eye on oil level. My '79 CB750F smoked a ton on start-up after setting since '99. Must have been a combination of fuel too rich, oil in cylinders that I added for first revolutions, and oil that I had sprayed the inside of the tank with after derusting. Smoke-free already! As far as mechanics, if you end up using a one-man shop I offer that you should never give a deposit, and check back frequently. Hear of too many getting ripped off or stalled forever. Let them know that you will be checking regularly and will pay for parts as they are ordered. If using a dealership, you usually won't even be asked for money up-front.

Good advice pidjones I appreciate that.

I inherited the bike about 6 years ago from my father in law who bought it new and was a long time mechanic himself for an Indy team before moving into other fields but nevertheless worked on projects throughout his life. When I say just restored, he completed the restore, engine rebuild, etc just before he passed. My understanding was he had ridden it enough to think something wasn't quite right and he needed to get back in there to find it. Just never had the chance.

Anyway, enough story time. :) It smoked from day one but I never did ride it more than a dozen miles to find out for myself.

What's the general consensus on dealer work vs independent for older bikes? I'm sure it's just my ignorance and everyone will have a different take on it but I hadn't thought to bring it to a dealer necessarily as I didn't know how much experience they might have on an older bike. Or what freedom they might have to spend some time with me as we go through the work.

Again, thank you for the advice! I appreciate it!

If it is a recent rebuild and it smokes since then my guess would be oil ring got rolled when dropping the cylinders on or there was improper crosshatch in the cylinders when rebuilt...or maybe just new rings put in without deglazing or boring of the cylinders?? Maybe it is running rich and washing down the cylinders?

Many Honda dealers wont even work on these old things anymore, no money in them because the bike owner probably doesnt want to drop much into them. Plus the oem supply of parts is drying up and a dealer isnt likely to go to specialty shops to get obsolete parts. On top of that many shops dont have guys that know how to set points and dwell anymore on this stuff anymore.

Back