• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

And so it begins....

rdhudlin

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm new to the forum, been lurking for a few weeks while I cleaned a bay in my garage to make room to actually work on this project. Here is what I'm starting with, a 1973 with 7900 miles on it that hasn't been run since the early 1980's. The engine turns over. I haven't tried to start it yet as the inside of the tank is a disaster and the throttle cable is frozen. So far total investment in this project: $0. The bike was just given to me buy a friend who wanted it out of his garage. I'll try to remember to post as we go along. July 2011 105.jpgJuly 2011 107.jpg

You cant beat a freebie ! There have been many posts on here about starting up a bike that has been sitting for years. Do a search and you will find a lot of good info. If you have any questions though dont be afraid to ask!

Same here people!

It appears like I have something in common with rdhudlin, Just last week I brought a very decent condition 1974 CB750 with 8,100 miles for $200 this machine has not run since 1996, and has set un-run in an unheated garage since then, five years ago the owner removed the carbs to clean them and forgot to do anything, leaving the intakes open caused moisture to freeze up the engine, after using penetrating oil I got the engine free to turn over, I fear at least one cylinder wall is rusty, plus lots of surface rust to deal with, but the paint is super good. Anyway I big cleaning job plus a top end on the engine is in the works for the very near future… I can only assume rdhudlin will be doing the same… I know I will need help!

Dave.

cb 750 is a tough engine, keep oiling it and rolling it, you will be shocked. it may be just fine. if you got it unstuck without a pipe wrench on the crank it will likely live, use some oil for a while and then be fine

If your carbs are stuck, DO NOT force the chrome lift levers. they break with incredible ease. trust me, and DONT

Well, I still haven't found the keys, but I did make some progress today. I drilled out the lock for the seat, and was able to get the seat open (I'm not going to use that later, it will be OK.) I sold the ugly saddle bags and trunk for enough money to buy my carb rebuild kits. I pulled the carbs and found 3 of the 4 totally gunked shut and started cleaning the carb linkage. The fuel lines were so brittle they just broke off. The inside of the tank is an absolute disaster, but I'm going to try to clean it before I replace it. While I've had many motorcycles in the past, I've never stripped one to the frame and rebuilt it before....I realized today, I'm going to have to come up with a system to manage the parts as well as manage the parts I need to purchase. This could be the challenge on this project.

well if you want to sell some of those stock peices i am interested. you could have opened the seat with a 1/4 inch 10 mm socket, a 1/4 inch swivel, and a 4 inch extension and ratchet.
dollar store tupperware. and a black marker. I just dump it all in a big box, but i know where every bolt goes.

Many months later.....I finally got started. Here she is stripped to the frame. Got the frame bolted to an engine stand now to prep for paint and have started cleaning parts. Need to order steering bearings, exhaust, handlebars, tires, master cylinder. Then figure out gauges and lighting. Send the seat to the upholster.....lots to do.

IMG_2372.jpg

Yep, tearing it down is the easy part! Finding the time, money, and motivation to finish it is the hard part. ;-)

Keep us posted on the progress! What are your plans for this one? Restoration?

No on the restoration. I'm just going to make it mine. Lowered on the rear end, drag bars, shaved emblems, different gauges and lighting. Subtle changes.

Back