• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Engine Rebuild

joncarditch

CB750 New member
Reaction score
hi there, im jon. im new to the motorcycle circuit. just recently came up on a 74' motor and rolling chassis. motor is in pieces but seems to have most everything with it (to the best of my knowledge) have the lower end up on a stand right now and am ready to start working on it as far as cleaning it all up and whatnot, just dont know where to start.....as i am not and never have been mechanical in any way. i know it will all need a good cleaning and i have the manual for it, but i still just dont know where to start. i am building on a budget so i am nervous to mess some shit up and be out alot more money than i expected. can anyone point me in the right direction as far as what i should do first, what to clean with etc...

thanks

Oh man.. that's a hard way to learn in my opinion. It's easier to start with a complete engine and tear it down yourself. That makes putting it back together a lot easier. But it still can be done. That's good that you have a manual. You'll definitely need that. Some people use parts washing solvent to clean cases. Some use diesel fuel or Kerosene. I'd take the cylinders and pistons to a machine shop to be looked over an measured. Then you can figure out what to order for pistons and rings and have them bore and hone while you're working on the rest. Do you have an engine gasket set, oil seals, 3 bond, etc.? You'll need bearings and a few other things as well. Do you know why the engine was taken apart in the first place? Low compression? burning oil? How far do you want to go with the engine? A lot of people figure if they're going to build an engine they might as well replace all of the wear items while there in there like the cam chain guide and tensioner, cam chain, and primary chains. I'm assuming you're going to go through the head... lap the valves, new guides and seals, etc?

By the way, welcome to the site!

go to your local salvage yard, and buy a locked up busted fin scrapper motor. Take the bottom off it and use it for a guide. the shims and misc assembly details will be 1000 times more valuable then you think. any one part from inside that junk motor will pay for itself. and you will have lots of them. you may even find a low mileage wrecked motor and all the chains be real nice. sell it when done. OR just put a good top end on a locked up junkyard bike, those bottom ends are bulleproof.

Good luck man! I am working on my first build now too. Everyone here is helpful. Take tons of pictures as your dismantling. That way you can always reference them if you need to and we all like seeing progress.

Back