• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Check out my new CB 750, then a couple questions...

devericks

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm super stoked to be a part of the forum and a new CB 750 owner. I've worked on cars my whole life but haven't had much experience with working on motorcycles. Here's my bike and then I have a few questions...

photo 1.JPGphoto 4.JPG

1. My chain seemed loose. I followed a YouTube video to tighten up a bit. Now it's at about 5/8+ of an inch of slack. What is the proper tension?

2. The front suspension seems pretty tight. How can I tell if it's working properly?

3. Last question, the base of the rear shock seems to be attached to a different spot than what I've seen on other bikes. Did someone add a piece to lower the bike? Wondering if the extra piece is stock or something that was added later.

Thanks for helping!!

Eric

Nice looking bike. With bike on center stand check chain midway between front and rear sprocket should have 1/2 to 1" up and down movement. As far as the front suspension kind of hard to tell over the internet, but it wouldn't hurt to change the fork oil. Maybe someone put to heavy of oil in at some time or stiffer fork springs. Honda spec is a 10w-30 but you can try different weights for different damping effect in the fork. I use a 10 or 20 wt fork oil. That is some sort of aftermarket shock mount. The stock shock mounts to where that block is mounted right now, not factory but if it works you dont have to change it. Looks kind of funky though.

dirtdigger, thanks! How far should the front shock travel when I push down on it hard or rock the bike? Is there a good way to test it or rule of thumb kind of thing?

Should move a couple of inches if you can really get a hard push on it. It shouldn't easily go through all the travel, if it did you would constantly be bottoming out when riding on the road. There is no rule, as long as it has movement its working.

I would be careful on that rear lowering kit (bars). Please make sure it is bolted in very well.

I have seen cheap ones break and cause all sorts of havoc. :)

Juiced, is that what the bottom of the rear shock is attached to, a lower kit? I thought that's what it might be. Perhaps I should just buy a shorty shock and attach it to the original location? Or is that geometry better on the kit?

For street riding handling, the original setup is your best bet. I have used shorty (progressive) shocks will great results.

The shorty kit is normally cheap way out of lowering a bike.

You do get a shorter rebound with lowering shocks. Also make sure the shocks stop before your tire hits.....anything. :)

cyclebuster, what do you mean by "carve"? I wasn't planning on doing much of anything to this bike. I think it looks pretty good as is. Are these lowering kits safe or should I go back to original shocks or progressive short?

I was thinking about doing a few things: different bars (drag? clubman? not sure), smaller turn signals and small brake light. Then just going through everything and making sure it's all in good shape.

I would put the shocks back to where they are supposed to be, see how you like the stance and change shocks if you think you want to.

76 are a one year one color only bike. people rode for years on those lowering kits earlier small signals look better to me even, but i would never change it, you can if you wish, just keep everything... Those look like the original shocks. it has wrong bars on it, and it looks like they cut the switches to make the wires exposed. you should seriously find one with original bars on it, and see if you like them. I would have the original bars on it yesterday. but thats me. I would also install an original exhaust, and mirrors, and it would be something i would show. I know that california is full of rust free bikes, but they are only original once. I love your bike. I have one just like it, but not as nice as yours, mine set in a shed for 32 years, and my rims are shot on the bottom.

Thanks bro. Funny, I actually found bought this bike from someone in North Carolina and had it shipped here. These bikes are in high demand in CA so the price is way higher. Even with shipping I came out ahead. I'm not sure what the original bars look like. Been trying to figure that out.

Back