• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Questions for cafe build

jimminy

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on some parts and get going on the mods. This post is going to be my big Q&A and I know this community collectively has all the answers. Mine is a '78 SOHC CB750K in decent shape overall, nothing special, but I love her dearly.
IMG_0712.jpg

This is my first build so I'm using a lot of ideas from bikes I've seen done by pros and I'm going to try to emulate them as best I can and use their builds to ask questions and figure out how to get similar results. I need to pull the engine first to get it worked on, but I want to start ordering parts while that's happening and do whatever I can with the engine out.
IMG_0713.JPGSalekCB750.jpg

At this point it's all planning and I'm looking for people's experience doing this stuff, the best place to find a part, whether or not the part I picked will work or not, whether it's just a bad idea, pitfalls, something I'm forgetting, etc.

Here are the major mods:

1. Pull the tank and repaint. Probably I'll repaint the plastic side covers at the same time.
2. Replace or rebuild the petcock, it leaks. Cheap enough to just buy new I think unless someone knows better. Good Supplier for that?
3. Remove all gauges and replace with new, maybe just a speedo with LEDs-> http://www.newmotorcycleparts.com/controls/gauges.html -the black face with LED indicators. 2240:60 ratio. Would love to spend less $$ on this thing though, seems pricey.
4. Replacing all turn indicators with mini bullets. Found these-> http://www.harrisonspecialties.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=HS&Category_Code=MiniB -Very cool
5. Might eventually do fork boots -> http://us.ebid.net/for-sale/fork-boot-gaitor-triumph-norton-motorcycle-23960318.htm -any reason not too? I just like the look, most days. Is there any trick to this or parts needed other than the boots themselves?
6. Paint engine with matte black engine paint while its out. Recommendations as to what brand?
7. New chain. Doesn't need to be performance, just good. Thinking silver or gold color.
8. Modify Fenders. I'm wondering if I should just chop and grind the stock ones and paint 'em. The chrome is in decent shape, but not perfect so probably not worth saving.
9. New tires. I really like the Firestone raised letter tires. Any reason not to go this way?
10. Tail loop modification and new seat. Where can I get a seat made or purchased like the one below or like the blue bike above? Best place to get the tail loop pipe? I see them for around $100, a lot for bent pipe.
Steel Bent CB750.jpg
11. Replace headlamp with more compact version. Maybe, not a priority.
12. Replace stock air filter with pods. This doesn't seam that important either and seems like it requires re-jetting carbs, but I don't know if this is difficult/expensive or not. Is it worth the trouble?
13. Paint wheels and spokes black. Probably, the chrome is a bit pitted.
14. Replace stock pipes and switch to a 4 to 1 setup. The photos show a pretty nice setup and I would like to do something like that, but not sure what to order exactly. I was told my stock pipes are in pretty good condition and someone might want them.
Pipes.jpg
15. Replace taillight with something like this -> http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...etro-satin-black-taillight-62-21512-sbpc.html
16. The blue Salek bike is obviously lowered. I see online others have just chopped the springs on the back and cut the forks on the front. Assuming I do this, is that all there is to it or is it going to require major adjustments elsewhere? Probably last on my list.

That's it. Easy, right?

Jeez, that looks great! Now I have more questions.

I love the airbox, where did you get it, how much was it, and did you have to do anything else like rejet, etc. or just clamp it on?

I like the muffler too with the wrapped pipes, what's the brand on that?

I hope mine turns out half as good.

Just a thought or two:

I put v-stacks on my '77 F. Looks racier,

Speedhut makes a GPS speedo - kinda pricey, but no cable to the front wheel so cleans things up alot. And just the thought of a GPS speedo is cool to me. :)

Otherwise seems like you've put alot of thought into this build.

Like Ken says, "EZ PZ", eh?

Jeez, that looks great! Now I have more questions.

I love the airbox, where did you get it, how much was it, and did you have to do anything else like rejet, etc. or just clamp it on?

I like the muffler too with the wrapped pipes, what's the brand on that?

I hope mine turns out half as good.

yes i did have to re jet for the air box and your in luck to course i have a spare air box if you want it I'll send you a pm

the pipes are old R/C racing and i made the mufflers thanks for the liking my bike

Wow, $900 for a speedometer. Pretty cool device but I think I better spend the money on other things first. Same thing with the V-stacks.

First thing is getting the engine pulled. I'm hoping for this weekend, but my oh my, my plate is full. I have the shop manual, so I'm counting on getting the thing out not being too much trouble, then I can get the engine work done (by someone who knows what they're doing, not me), and get to the fun stuff.

Seems like the first of the bigger mods is the tail loop and seat, anyone disagree? Everything else is pulling parts and replacing for the most part I think.

Nah, I paid $169 for the speedo (see the last page on their website). Still pricey though.

And get some buddies to help you pull the motor. They are heavy little suckers.

pull the engine LAST. take it to a bare frame, your gonna strip it to paint it anyway. remove the center breather cover, and all the engine bolts. slide the engine to the left a bit and move the inside oil line outside the frame. place a large blanket triple folded on the right side of the engine, then tip the frame and engine carefully onto the blanket. lift the frame easily off. The engine cannot fall this way. none of your friends are gonna feel bad after those fins get smucked off. Nobody gets a hernia.

I know it's not ideal, but I don't think I'm gonna go down that far. I would love to but I don't want my bike out of commission that long. The weather's always nice here and every day it's apart is a day I can't ride. My goal is to do what I can by doing one or two things at a time and riding it in between. If I have to loose the wheels to remove the engine I will but would rather not. With the engine out getting worked on I'll probably just do what makes sense like paint the tank since it'll be off anyway, clean the frame and mask and touch up the paint on the frame. Unless I'm wrong there's nothing else I need the engine out to do in my build.

The problem is I have no garage, I live in a very urban spot so having the thing scattered all over isn't an option. I might try to get it into my loft, but that's 11 floors up and down some narrow corridors. Would not be happy to get it wedged in the hallway up there.

Still don't know about the fenders, etc. Anyone?

If I have to loose the wheels to remove the engine I will but would rather not.

You dont have to do any of this to remove the engine. Two people can easily remove the engine with the rest of the bike intact. It is heavy you just have to work slow and tape off the frame rails when removing and installing the engine to reduce scuffs.

of course you can, but i thought he was going to do a full build on it. And i hate broken fins

cyclebuster described a good way to remove the engine when the whole bike is getting tore down. I've used the lay down method on a couple of bikes and it works well... Kind of like pulling the skid out of a snowmobile.. tip it on it's side. Some people use the lay down method when installing the engine too (into a bare frame). Saves you from scratching up the frame.

Yow! It is done. Pretty much. The engine is still sitting in its home, but it's all disconnected and ready to get machined. I'll have to post some pics later.

It all went pretty smooth, until the very last thing-the oil filter. That nut was in perfect shape, I used the correct metric socket, and it was going nowhere! It was so stuck that the the thing rounded rather than turn, I couldn't believe it. I know I read somewhere you can still remove the engine with it there, but I don't see how. My friend and I tried for an hour, tweaked and turned, crushing fingers, etc. until we gave up. Next day I tried a pipe wrench and for half hour it just shredded the nut. In the end I gave it one more go and at the last second, with everything I had to muscle it, it finally turned. That'll have to be replaced, I'll post a pic, it's a mess.

If that thing was on there like that, I wonder when the filter was last changed, probably 1986 or so.

After disconnecting it all, I don't know how I'll ever get it all back the right way, but I took a ton of pictures, some video, and my mind's not totally shot yet. Maybe I'll get lucky.

So the thing has been blowing smoke for a while and the engine has been leaking oil through just about every gasket or seal, so it's a big oily mess. If I could take it somewhere for cleaning I would, but I'll have to do it myself. What do you all suggest to get this thing degreased and what should I avoid? BTW, the carbs are still connected by the throttle cable so I'll cover that up, but is there anything else I should worry about protecting when I get to cleaning?

Another exhaust to consider is carpy's 4-1 pipe. looks pretty nice, and i think they are still on sale for less than 300. cb750cafe is his site. he makes them for sohc and dohc. im getting one for my dohc.

Another exhaust to consider is carpy's 4-1 pipe. looks pretty nice, and i think they are still on sale for less than 300. cb750cafe is his site. he makes them for sohc and dohc. im getting one for my dohc.

You're right Loosenoose, that's pretty much what I had in mind and a pretty decent price. They sound fantastic too. Is that due to baffles he makes or ones you can buy elsewhere?

Back