• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Old Racer, New member running vintage series.

Juiced

Old Racer
Reaction score
Hello all.

I am from South Carolina, have rode almost every brand of motorcycle (except Indian)
in my many years on the road and track. I have drag raced and road raced many cars and motorcycles.

I have visited here before, but it was time to join.

I am presently running what started as a CB750F and correctly converted to a Factory raced CB750R (with a twist.)

I have rebuilt/raced many a Triumph, Norton, Honda, etc. You get the picture.
I have draged a GSXR and even had the wife Drag race me on a Ninja 500.

At 54 I expect this may be my last racing ride, but never my last street ride. I also have a 1978 CB750 I am
rebuilding for the street.

We will be running our first time at Road Atlanta in April and cannot wait.

This is a DIFFERENT CB. I have and still run/love ICE bikes, but this one I race is......

You would not believe what I have installed in the bike. (Not sure I should say) :)

and understand I have run Blower cars.... so HP is my friend.... (no it is not a blower)

Almost 100 HP of instant power....
The ICE rides have nothing to worry about.

Savannah%20Speed%20Classic%20WP064a.JPG

The motor was frozen so I gave the ride a second life....

Speed%20Classic.jpg

Me on a converted GSXR..

Last edited:
The Race Group is call Historic Moto Gran Prix. We run with the rest of the ICE bikes from 1962 to about 1982 (They changed the division name to "New Frontier Alloys" for 2013 )
Maximum CC is 750 for our group. We have two strokes, 4 strokes and whole collection of cool rides. All race bikes.
The headlight you see on mine is fake and will be replaced with a correct number decal for the 2013 season.

We started running with them last year by chance (long story).

Great group. Fast riders. We will be running at least 4 events this year including Road Atlanta.

The Motorcycle is a true Ton up ride.

I have had a few other cross motored bikes in my years. (Norton bike with Triumph motor, etc),
so this one is just a bit different... :)

The CB is period correct (Except for the motor of course) with the fiberglass coming from some
of the original molds Honda used for the sponsored race bikes .

Some Teckie specs.
106 Volt, 40 AH, 1000 Amp, LifePo4 battery pack
Motenergy Motor (hence the tank decal) with 100% torque a zero RPM.
Kelly 1200 amp (reduced to 50%) Controller.

More info here.

http://juiceddragracing.com/Roadrace.html

A fun ride!

Last edited:
Our racing Schedule for this year. Please come by if you have chance! We will be with all the HONDAs sneering at the
rest of the other teams. :)

April 25 - 28 The Mitty Road Atlanta HSR

May 17 - 18 Concours St. Augustine Riding into History

Sept 19 - 22 Atlanta Historic Races Road Atlanta HSR

Oct 24 - 27 Savannah Speed Classic Hutchinson Island HSR

Cafe%20testing%20016%20600.JPG

Cafe%20Racer%20NEW%20LOGOSD800a.JPG

Here are some of the before and after photos.

All of the parts to make the street (now race) Electric ride.

CR2web.JPG

This one shows the 300 amp (Now 1200 amp) controller. It is laptop adjustable to give me a tunes setup.

CR5web.JPG

A little trick of the trade, well my trick anyway, was to replace the clutch handle with the rear
master brake. This way the ride looking period correct on the handle bars and helps lighten the bike up over 6 pounds.

CR7.JPG

Since there is no transmission, the electric motor has to be aligned perfectly if I was going to do true Ton up runs.

Does it look OK?

CR9.JPG

Everything was properly stripped and painted, paying attention to ensure the decals were "kept proper" .

CR35.JPG

Here is one of the battery packs on the bike. 160 of the individual blue headway batteries fill the power packs.
This one is the largest of 4. A separate 12 v battery runs all of the accessories. Right now it is at 106 volts at over 1000 amps.
15 amps is what come from your house wall socket.

Cafe%20Racer%20battery%20update%20003.JPG

The street version just before the decals!

CR54.JPG

I love the bike Ed! Alright I gotta ask... how fast does it go? What's the acceleration like? How long does the charge last and how long does it take to charge?

Thanks!

It has gone over a 100 (102) on the 86 volt setup. Now that it is 106 volts I am expecting in the 118 to 120mph range.
We should find out this weekend at Road Atlanta.

Acceleration is "off the charts". With 100% torque at zero RPM, I have to program the controller
to help me from losing the back end coming out of the turns. Even then I get a good wiggle off
of the apex.

Charging takes about 2-3 hours and distance, if I was running it on the street again, would be about 80 miles
at normal speeds.

:)

Thanks!

It has gone over a 100 (102) on the 86 volt setup. Now that it is 106 volts I am expecting in the 118 to 120mph range.
We should find out this weekend at Road Atlanta.

Acceleration is "off the charts". With 100% torque at zero RPM, I have to program the controller
to help me from losing the back end coming out of the turns. Even then I get a good wiggle off
of the apex.

Charging takes about 2-3 hours and distance, if I was running it on the street again, would be about 80 miles
at normal speeds.

:)

hey, thats really cool... decent specs. And still looks pretty much vintage. what was approx cost of build, were batteries more $ than motor? cheers!

Back