• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

How Do I Find the Year!

evelynckent

CB750 New member
Reaction score
There is no engine tag on this bike. There is two numbers stamped on the engine and frame. I found a thread on here from 2012 where a moderator was able to identify a bike from the same type of numbers I have. If anyone can help with this please let me know. I have a CB750E-1098099.

Im slightly confused...What engine tag are you looking for? The number you posted above is the engine number. Which is a K1 or a 1971

I don't know if anyone will see this or if this thread closed out. I'm a total newbie, just picked up a '76 750A. Should the plate on frame match the # on the motor? My frame VIN reads CB750A-7002667, the engine says B750AE 7002710.

I know nothing about this bike. I was told single owner, died left to granddaughter. It's a bit of a mess. Trying to figure out what next. Started a tear down to assess what is save able. I bought a Clymer manual, and a Haynes. Any help or advice for more to learn would be appreciated.

Now get the real Honda shop manual. The others have too many errors. Unless wrecked, water damaged, etc., most all of an old bike can be rescued if it has been stored in the dry. Do your internet research, read the new owners section on each site - they will really help. I think that both Randakk's and Mike Nixon's sites have new owner sections. I don't think Honda matched frame to engine numbers. Use the frame number to register. Also, please start your own thread for your bike.

Frame and engine numbers dont match. The 750 auto has some oddities compared to the standard 750 and some of the parts are getting hard to find or impossible to find. As long as the engine and transmission are mechanically sound and most of the rest of the bike is there it would make a decent bike to rebuild or restore. The 750 auto was only produced several years so not near as many parts are available. When working on the auto the factory manual is critical.

Thanks. The fuel tank is shot I think. It's had a few gallons in it for probably a decade. The carb looks in working order, I turned it over and it sounds like engine has compression. Hoping to know more when I get motor off the frame and opened up.
7c067eed3d9848cd1addb4bd82144c88.jpg

I wouldn't give up on the tank if it isn't leaking. The carbs may seem Ok, but good money says they need serious cleaning.

I've read a few places on here that it's worthwhile to swap em for 750k carbs. Better to clean em, or make the swap while it's all apart?

Most Honda engines, if half-way maintained and stored dry, will not need tear-down. Valve adjustment, charging and ignition system checks, ALL electrical connections cleaned and tightened. The carbs will need to come off and be cleaned. A frustrating, time-consuming job that must be done with diligence but well within the capabilities of anyone with mechanical skills and access to the proper tools, buy a #2 JIS screwdriver if you don't already have one. Paying someone for a rebuild (or buying another rack) may be the course for some but doesn't give the same satisfaction. I don't know of advantages/disadvantages to different carbs - and CB750K was produced for ovver 10 years with differences that may be important.
Here is a link to parts lists for your bike. I have found that many Honda parts are used in different models, just cross-check the part numbers on a site like Partzilla example: https://www.partzilla.com/product/h...nEWGeTly8JsBz3vF7wBNBocIvf23a55MaArCgEALw_wcB

And please, start your own thread (you can add a link to it in this thread).

The auto carbs are smaller then the rest of the 750 carbs. Carbs have been swapped to the K or later F carbs if you can find the correct rubber carb mounts going between the head and carbs. The issue is the auto carbs have a vacuum motor setup on them that bumps up the idle speed just a bit when you put the bike in gear so it doesnt stall the engine. You would need to figure out a way to swap over this setup to the new carbs. If you are just after making this a running bike there is no reason to swap carbs. The carbs are very simple carburetor and very easy to clean. You would have more of a headache finding correct parts parts to do the swap then just cleaning the ones you have.

Back