• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

How do I buff a urethane clear coat?

MagicMoose

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I wet sanded with 1500, then 2000, then 3000 followed by buffing with a finishing compound from 3M called "finesse" using fairly low speed with a wool bonnet, followed by a polish. Important to use ONLY clean paper (a small 2x4" piece lasted for front fender, shelter covers and side covers for a GL1000) that is always wet. A few drops of dish soap and lots of water. I do it in a deep sink with water trickling constantly. I soaked my paper to make it pliable for curves, but used a very small block for flatter areas. Just make sure nothing gets in there to contaminate and scratch it. Many use special foam pads for buffing but I don't have them or a small buffer they fit. Also, make sure the paint is cured. I think 24 hours is supposed to be enough for a 2K, but I had to give 72 due to family commitments.
6f8d5f0846750465fb7c169f27e127a5.jpg

Last edited:
I always let paint go for 30 days or so before I buff. I have used nason2k urethane many times before. Most of the time I overthin it and it lays down perfect and I dont even have to and and buff it.

Yes give it time to gas out, 2000 is too harsh, try wet sand 3000 then,machine polish with Meguiar's 105/205 ect or Menzerna. Just take your time, some of this can be done by hand.

Back