• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

carb filler hose

MotersickleBum

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
is the carb filler hose on the left side of the carbs and that thinner hose on the middle an overflow?

i got the pos thumping but it dies so it's not getting gas despite the fact that i filled up the floats. unfortunately the choke is a real choke and not an enricher......so i'm not sure why it doesn't stay running until the floats run out of gas. i finally got the tank painted and it looks amazing. i painted it with Xirallic gold, black and it came out like glass. it looks totally black until the sun hits it then it sparkles gold. so my plan is to put the tank on the bike and add some gas and see if that will keep the thing running. i'm a bit nervous though because it had backfired with flames a few times and i don't want to incinerate myself. it's always scary working on a bike that's been sitting for a decade with a tank and gas.

i'll up a pic of the tank tomorrow. it's smooth as glass...

Left is supply, center is vent. Always use an in-line filter on these older bikes. Overflow is out the drain barb. These carbs are super finiky about cleanliness and clean fuel. Choke out all the way is supposed to open butterflys slightly. Idle stop is center underneath black plastic ~1/2" knob. They are a bit cold shouldered, and need a few minutes warm up to wean off the choke. And yes, should idle a good while on fuel in bowls.

ok, thanks..... part of the problem is that i'm testing without an air filter so they will need even more gas to get perking. i'm going to install the tank later today and see if i can get this creature to keep running. i'm also restoring a brunswick Gold Crown III , a Honda CM450 and a Honda Del Sol so i'm getting frazzled...

FYI, this post is in the engine section, so it may not get the attention you want. Next, treat your carbs like 4 mini engines connected together.
Trying to troubleshoot a backfiring carburetor that had 20 year old gas is like searching for a needle in a haystack. Please, again, please read the entire rebuild process linked below. Save the .pdf to your phone or tablet and read it while on the shitter a few pages at a time. Let it soak in, then tackle the cleaning process one step at a time. The majority of the rebuild is done by general cleaning but pay close attention to what the author says about cleaning specific circuits. It contains everything you need to know about your carburetor. I followed this rebuild and my carbs were caked with 20 year old varnish. After following this rebuild to the 'T", my bike starts up and idles like a champ in 30 degree Connecticut winter weather. In fact, I rode it into work yesterday. Fired right up....follow this rebuild and you will be investing in yourself and the bike.

http://www.cb750c.com/publicdocs/SeanG/Honda_Carb_Manual_revG.pdf

My rebuild thread.
http://www.cb750.com/threads/4812-Carburetor-Rebuild

Also, I know tempting but paint last. Nothing worst than a trailer queen that doesn't run. You'll need plenty of resources ($) to get the drivetrain running smoothly. I cant speak on your financial status, but painting before she's running tip top can be risky.

ok, thanks i'll check out those links.... i've cleaned and rejetted a lot of old 4cyl bike carbs over the years. i'm hoping that installing the tank and fuel line will keep the bike running at least long enough to give it some rpm's. the backfire is from squirting starting fluid in the open carbs to get it started. with the float-bowls full of gas i expected it to stay running.

i wanted to paint the tank before i filled it with gas and it wasn't very hard. also, i decided to paint the tank after i knew that the bike would run.

Back