• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Honda Civic Help anyone.

Dave

CB750 Junkie
Reaction score
While I'm searching the web thought I'd drop a post here.

I'm working on a 2005 Honda Civic. Cranks, won't start. It has done it a few times recently but usually turning the key off and back on again cured it but now it just won't start. No trouble codes current or pending.

Battery is good

I can hear the fuel pump prime but I don't have the tool to check the fuel pressure.

The Crank sensor is putting out a solid 5v pulse but, I'm not getting any spark at the plug.

Don't know the Civic, but two things come to mind: coil and distributor cap. Caps get corroded, intermitent, and then just fail. I have one to replace on my S-10 4.3l when it warms up some.

Don't know the Civic, but two things come to mind: coil and distributor cap. Caps get corroded, intermitent, and then just fail. I have one to replace on my S-10 4.3l when it warms up some.

Different system. The car has 4 coils and no distributor. It uses sensors and a computer to decide when to spark each plug.

No spark to all cylinders? Do you have access to a scan tool that displays data? If you do watch the engine rpm while cranking, if you get zero start looking at the crank sensor. Crank sensors are a common issue

No spark to all cylinders? Do you have access to a scan tool that displays data? If you do watch the engine rpm while cranking, if you get zero start looking at the crank sensor. Crank sensors are a common issue

Naw, I've never paid to unlock all the extra goodies on the scan tool I bought at a garage sale. It's basically a glorified trouble code reader that can reset ecu's too.

I checked the crank sensor, good 5v pulse. I checked the TDC sensor, also good 5v pulse. I checked the fuses, all good.

I finally stared at the dash (sometimes I'm just a dumbass it seems) and finally noticed the green key icon kept flashing instead of going out when I turned the ignition on. I went and got the spare key and it fired right up.

Have you ever heard of a passive RFID chip failing before? You have now. Damn thing is gonna cost $95 to replace but I got to have a spare key.

Back