• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Accelerator Pump Mystery

MotoNavyGuy

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I am rebuilding my carbs on my '81 CB750F and when I disassembled my carbs I decided to check the accelerator pump. Little to my surprise I had a tear in the diaphragm. So I ordered a new pump assembly and when it came it had a black pump piece that was not in my carbs. I have attached pictures of the manual, and it shows it there, but now I have no idea of where this black rubber pump piece gets installed to, and it doesn't really help me. It doesn't look like it goes into the outside portion of the assembly, so any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
black piece.PNG
Acclerator Pump.PNG
AccPumpDis.jpg

It's basically a dust shield / guide that mounts on the outside of the carburetor. When you reassembly the carbs, the long rod will slide through the outside of the #2 carb and engage the linkage. You will see an exposed portion of the shiny rod on the outside of the carb. That boot goes over this exposed portion. I'm sure a more experienced tech on this site can provide more detailed information regarding it's purpose, but you will see a recessed groove in the carb casting that only one side of the boot fits nice and snug into. IIRC, the boot is positioned 180 degrees from the way it is imaged above, on the outside of the carb. Again, I assumed it was likely a guide or dust boot when I installed mine.

It's basically a dust shield / guide that mounts on the outside of the carburetor. When you reassembly the carbs, the long rod will slide through the outside of the #2 carb and engage the linkage. You will see an exposed portion of the shiny rod on the outside of the carb. That boot goes over this exposed portion. I'm sure a more experienced tech on this site can provide more detailed information regarding it's purpose, but you will see a recessed groove in the carb casting that only one side of the boot fits nice and snug into. IIRC, the boot is positioned 180 degrees from the way it is imaged above, on the outside of the carb. Again, I assumed it was likely a guide or dust boot when I installed mine.

Awesome thank you! That's exactly what it was for.

Back