• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Indiana Daves 78 CB750K rejuvenation

INDIANADAVE

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Intro...
Picked this up just before Thanksgiving weekend.
ON TRAILER.jpg
78 CB750K. 14k miles. Been sitting in, and next to a barn for 25 years, or more.
Goal is to get it back on the road as a reliable rider, and enjoy as an original survivor. Maybe put some flat bars, and give it a more muscle bike look. Not into the cafe racer thing, but I like the flatter lower rise bars better than these granny high-rise bars.
Seller already did some work on it, including changing oil, new plugs and wires, new battery, and he got rebuild kits and tore the carbs apart and cleaned them.
BOX OF PARTS.jpg
Unfortunately, I'm stuck trying to reassemble them. I might just take them in to the shop and have them reassemble and sync them.
Also discovered why the front brake lever wouldn't move... Yuck!
BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER YUCK.jpg
So while I'm waiting on a couple books to come (Haynes and Clymers) I've done some cleaning and polishing, and took the front brake caliper off and fought the piston and pad trying to get them out to check if the brake fluid had solidified in it also. It looks savable with a rebuild kit and new pads.
That's it for now. I may post up a wanted add for a brake lever / master cylinder, and possibly a caliper.

Got a good used master cylinder, and new caliper seal and pads on the way. Hopefully will have the front brakes back together this weekend.
Was very tempted to upgrade to the cross drilled rotor, and stainless lines, but decided to keep it stock and simple, for now and get it back roadworthy. then I'll go from there.

Also decided to take the pile of carb parts and just have a local shop reassemble them, and bench sync them.

While waiting for parts, and manuals, I did some cleaning and polishing...
Before: FADED COVER.jpg
After:CLEANED AND POLISHED  SIDE COVER ON BIKE.jpg
Sat in sun, or next to a barn fire, or something... This side of the tank is bad...
FADED SIDE OF TANK.jpg
Compared to the other side
GOOD SIDE OF TANK.jpg
My daughter approves.... (unlike the wife)
JULIE ON BIKE.jpg

Ended up getting a great deal on a complete carb set-up off Ebay. I think this will be more cost effective than paying a shop 3-400 to reassemble this mess, and chance that they are even usable.
Also got the caliper reassembled and mounted, but need a brake line. shouldv'e checked it before.
so... Ordering new brake line today.
Carbs should be here beginning of next week.
I'll give them a good inspection and cleaning, and put them on.
Maybe I'll get to fire this thing up next week.

Oh yea... Did a little more polishing...

Looks like a good solid project bike..I installed a set of old MX handle bars on mine and really made a difference for the better.I hear Pine-sol works good for a carb soak?

Took the "new" set of carbs and noticed one of the throttle blades was much cleaner than the others.
Upon taking off the float bowls to inspect and clean, I noticed that same carb had build-up on the jets, and probably wasn't functioning at all.
Cleaned then up, installed new bowl gaskets, and installed onto bike.
Went to try and fire it up, and now I'm getting no spark.
Took the ignition cover off, and everything seems to be in good condition there. I don't see any sparks on the points, either, though.
Also checked the fuses visually, and none appear to be blown.
Was looking forward to hearing it run this weekend!
The previous owner had put new plugs and wires on it, so I need to check the connections.

Back