• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Bike dies on reserve

AMC49... thanks for the information about the filter not catching rust, small passage size of the spigots. And I like the idea of soaking the fuel cap in oil. I appreciate you reading.

The OEM tube filter WILL catch MOST of the rust but the extremely fine portion gets by it because the plastic holes allow a certain small and smaller size particles to get by. You then find them in the fuel bowl. Even that small amount can play hell with your fuel bowl levels and cause flooding.

I had the same trouble with cars back in the early-mid '90s when Texas did an early experiment with ethanol in fuel, I was modding fuel filtration on cars left and right back then, the original filters would not catch the rust.

The problem is space on DOHCs while still getting gravity to make it work. On my 550 I had to work up a tightly S bent copper fuel pipe to fit in the space allowed and still allow for a paper filter. The filter slows flow down enough so that you had to listen for the initial beginning pops of misfire to switch to reserve quick, if you did so then the fuel switched but still stayed flowing enough to keep you going with no interruption. If you waited too long then the engine died and you were stuck waiting for the air plug to go by and fuel begins then flowing again. The lower the fuel weight in tank the longer it took, and why such an issue on reserve.

Back