• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

FSM error on CB750F rear wheel removal?

pidjones

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
Just got done removing the rear wheel from the '79 CB750F I've taken as this winter's project. The 79-83 FSM Addendum (chapter 22) for removing the wheel says to remove the wheel before removing the axle. The frame is set up for that to work, but the brake carrier has the axle going through it, so the axle has to come out first, then the wheel can be moved out and a wedge (I used either wood shims or a folded piece of corrugated cardboard) put in between the pads. I drove the axle out (after removing the axle nut) with an aluminum rod and ball peen hammer. Happily, the mufflers on the F are high enough for the axle to go under them while on the center stand.

This bike has been seriously neglected, so I'm pretty sure that I'll have the joy of changing the bearings soon. Axle was oily on one end and rusty on the other. At least the sprocket shows very little wear. Haven't had a chance to inspect the rubbers yet. Hope the rear wheel doesn't take long, because I'm getting close to having the engine ready to try.

Back