• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1981 Cb750k Bogs and sputters under load

Wilder

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello,
I Have a 1981 cb750k DOHC, the bike idles a little higher than normal and revs fine in neutral. But when i put it in gear and go to ride it starts bogging out and sputtering at about 1/2 throttle. Recently i put pod filters on and it ran like crap but then i raised the needle in the carbs with a small shim (0.035) and it started to run better but now its doing this. Any info will help-thank you.

If you have the stock airbox, use that instead of Pods. It's very hard to get a bike with CV carbs to run right on Pods.

Pods are fine. you will have to rejet. go to www.jetsrus.com . put your needles back the way it was.

if you have stock jets you are running lean. it will do the same thing though running rich so don't get too big of main jets. there's a chart on the net somewhere that will help you pick the right jets for pods and headers. again, put the needle back to stock position so you don't have too many things to think about when jetting. i had several bikes that did the exact same thing and after a rejet, they ran like OJ from the cops.

when you open up your carbs notice what number is on the jets and make sure that they are stock. i had a bike that had been jetted way too rich. no telling what was done to these old bikes from previous owners.

When I had PODS, the bike ran flawless until around 7K RPM for what that's worth. But I did a full rebuild of the top end and carbs. I would suspect one of your carb circuits to be clogged.

Back