• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Refitting carbs to the engine

Reaction score
Refitting carbs to the engine with the engine in the frame had me pulling my hair out, there's not much left now! Problem was the tubes were new and tight and inflexible. I just could not get behind them to push on to the cylinder head. I eventually came up with this idea of using ratchet straps and with this method they slid easily into place. Check out the photos. There was no damage to the carbs. Carb strap2.jpg You will need 2 straps, 1 each side to pull the carbs in square. Just a few clicks each side. Tighten up the clips and release the straps.Carb strap 1.jpg I suspect that the engine was fully built on the production line complete with carbs and air box, then by using some black art was fitted to the frame. Far too much fiddling about fitting them with the engine in place.

I was afraid of doing serious damage to the old rubber intake boots while removing the cab rack on my '79, so I heated them gently with a heat gun to soften them until they released. I wouldn't do that with plastic, however I have heated plastic to remove surface scratches with good success on my GL1000 (on the inner rear fender). You do have to be careful and not heat plastic until it distorts. The valve cover grommets go on fairly easily if you soak the in very hot water for about 5 minutes before fishing them out and pressing the bolt in. I worry more about rubber tearing if stressed beyond its limit (specially old rubber) than heat distortion. Heating it makes it more pliable and less prone to damage.

You should have all 8 hose clamps complete lose and add a little Vaseline to the inside of the boots to slide. You shouldn't need ratchet straps although it looks effective.

I'll use silicon vacuum grease as it is less damaging to rubber, and warm the insolators with the heat gun. Just like I do the GL1000 runners.

hi my bike cb has the same carbs, but idont kow how to conect the fuel petckoc valve?
help me pleas
001.jpg

i use a rubber mallet. :eek: the silicone grease and heat is a good idea which i will try AND then i'll bash them with my rubber mallet just for nostalgia.

Back